News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Way maintenance costs too high.

Started by gfurst, February 02, 2014, 05:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfurst

Hey folks, this is my first thread on the forum but I actually played Simutrans since long eons ago.
So anyway, a great thanks to the people who contributed in this awesome project.

So as the title says I'm having a issue with the very expensive maintenance costs of ways, roads, tracks and etc.
I'm running on linux Debian with Simutrans v112.3 and pak128 v 2.3.0

Costs for ways are following:

Asphalt Street5.60$50 km/h
Asphalt Road7.80$70 km/h
Wooden track6.80$100 km/h
Now attempting to manually change pak file's costs for each way, I saw those are actually double of what the specified was.
Still creating pak files with the pak128 sources didn't work, as I figure those are an updated version of simutrans, and simutrans didn't accept loading.

I'm playing a game where I started everything from scratch, build cities up and factories chains, using public ways while multiple companies try to share and supply the demand for transport.
I'm in  situation where the Public Player's finances are almost even almost evening out between maintenance and road tolls, but these really do drag out the companies revenue due to being so expensive, specially roads and the likes. City roads being the most expensive.

I for one would think roads would be the cheaper to maintain, specially city roads, since those are mostly not used on cities not connected. My road passenger lines, though being very lucrative end up loosing money to road tolls.
My objective would be to have cheaper maintenance for ways and something like a basic tax( around 16% convoy toll and 33% road toll), just to see the public service turning up a profit for a change.

So how could I go and change the maintenance prices to a suiting level still in this game? Alternatively how I could improve income generally so companies could hold their own while the government still balance even?
Additionally how do I tweak the speed bonus settings, I haven't found documentation anywhere for that.

Its really hard to even out finances specially considering the low return rate pak128 has.
This is an awesome game with currently six cities connected and two industries( food chain and coal power),  seven companies already working together and most on debt.

Thanks, any help, suggestion and even appreciation on the game is welcome. Cheers

kierongreen

If you are using the latest version of the pak128 sources you will also need the latest nightly version of the simutrans executable and makeobj.

prissi

The costs scaled with the speed of time. THe default is 18. When a slower passing of time is specified, the cost will scale up.

Zeno

Quote from: gfurst on February 02, 2014, 05:32:26 PM
So how could I go and change the maintenance prices to a suiting level still in this game? Alternatively how I could improve income generally so companies could hold their own while the government still balance even?
Additionally how do I tweak the speed bonus settings, I haven't found documentation anywhere for that.
You need to modify the associated .dat files (those are in the pakset sources). There are specific parameters for maintenance costs on every road .dat file, as well as the bonus for each goods .dat file. You'll need to check the wiki for documentation on those parameters, and for .dat files in general. Then compile them and add them to your addons folder, for example. You'll need to be familiar with makeobj, dat files and that stuff...