News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Separate message window from cursor pointer

Started by Tazze, April 26, 2013, 11:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tazze

Have you ever be interrupted by "crowded" message window when you connect the rail?
I have so much. So, would you separate message window from our cursor?
Or,is it a meaningless solution?

Combuijs

In message options you can specify what kind of warning you want (varying from none to status bar message to message box). You can tinker with that.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Tazze

Ters

I don't see any options that cause a permanent window to appear out of harms way. These message windows appearing where I'm working bothers me, but I don't want to hide them away on the ticker line either, because then I'll miss them.

Combuijs

Quote from: Ters on April 26, 2013, 02:37:34 PM
I don't see any options that cause a permanent window to appear out of harms way. These message windows appearing where I'm working bothers me, but I don't want to hide them away on the ticker line either, because then I'll miss them.

So you basically say that if they appear out of harms way, you will miss them...  ;)
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Tazze

I said sorry because I thought it might ought to write in help center.
But I think the present offset of this is ugly because the appearance is not only once.

Vladki

I have similar problem.   If i click on any object, the info window obscures the object so it cannot be clicked again.  But often I want to get more info - station, then convoy, nearby factory, etc. It woud be better if the window pops up a but further from cursor.

benjad

Very much so wanted to bring this up for discussion.   

Try this!  On a busy rail line, bulldoze a small portion.  Immediately "No route" messages start popping up.  They pop up right under the mouse, just as you are going to select  a rail tool to activate, then while attempting to lay the rails, they continue to pop up right ontop of where you are working.

Turning the off is not really an option, they are important.  It would be good if those messages popped up offset, perhaps towards the center of the screen, rather than directly under where the cursor is.

Ters

Quote from: Combuijs on April 26, 2013, 02:44:46 PM
So you basically say that if they appear out of harms way, you will miss them...  ;)

No, because messages on the ticker line disappear once they've scrolled by, while persistent windows stay until you close them, giving me infinitely more time to notice them. Sure, the messages can be found in the log in the message center, but I don't read that regularly.

Quote from: benjad on April 26, 2013, 04:35:52 PM
Turning the off is not really an option, they are important.  It would be good if those messages popped up offset, perhaps towards the center of the screen, rather than directly under where the cursor is.
The center of the screen is where I usually work. As is the upper left corner. One of the lower corners would be better for me.

prissi

Maybe this is another visibility option: But somehow one has to limted that to error messages, otherwise all windows (including stations etc.) would appear in the lower right corner.

Tazze

Thank you all !! I understood we have almost same problem.

@combuijs: May be, you get used to use message option, but this problem makes you do so.

Quote from: prissi on April 26, 2013, 09:16:16 PM
Maybei this is another visibility option: But somehow one has to limti that to error messages, otherwise all windows (including stations etc.) would appear in the lower right corner.
Prissi, I think that it is no problem ,and just make us a sense of incongruity at first, even if all message appeared in the right corner. But, it is too soon that you deside to move to the lower right, because some left-handed person will ask for moving to the lower left.