News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Avoid trains turning 90-degree or more

Started by fredp, April 27, 2013, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredp

Hi, is there a way to avoid trains taking 90-degrees turns? I always stick to 45-turns tracks, but in stations there's no way to control this.

In the attached station, built to handle heavy traffic from 7 lines, everything goes right until the only spare platforms are on the side opposite to that of the train: hence, trains begin to follow crazy routes that take up longer than a short wait at the choosesignal and prevent other trains from departing.
If trains could turn only 45-degrees this wouldn't happen? Is there a way to do so?

btw, I'm using pak128.britain

Thank you

Ters

The only method I know is to take full control of the routes with waypoints, which likely means ditching choose signals (which I discourage in most circumstances).

fredp

I think I'll keep the station as it is right now, there I have 4 lines merging in 2, so it works in part as a buffer for trains that have to go further and in part as terminus station.

However I think that a "maximum turning angle" or even better a "minimum turning radius" would be a nice addition to the game, improving its realism (a train doesn't turn in the same space of a car)

Thank you

Ters

It has been discussed before. I don't remember it getting rejected, but it doesn't appear that anyone has stepped forward to spend time on implementing it either. Maybe experimental has it.

kierongreen

I think the sticking point is the 1km/tile scale. Trains are perfectly capable of getting round curves with a radius of 500m so should be able to make 180 degree turns (also 90). With the scale in Experimental being 125m then enforcing a minimum radius would be neccesary as a 60m radius is very small for modern heavy rail standard gauge vehicles.

fredp

I guess it's one point that highlights the difference of the double tile scale, 1 km/tiles is fine for curve radius but then 40 m/tile make trains turning 180° looking very very strange.

prissi

You can make 180 degree turns very unfavourable (by setting the weights very height in the extended settings; but then some trains may avoid certain line completely without using waypoints.

fredp

Quote from: prissi on April 28, 2013, 10:19:51 PM
You can make 180 degree turns very unfavourable (by setting the weights very height in the extended settings; but then some trains may avoid certain line completely without using waypoints.

That's sound interesting, though I guess it affects all vehicles and not just trains. Is there a way to modify this setting in a  running game or have I to start a new map?

Thanks

fredp

Quote from: Ters on April 27, 2013, 06:46:38 PM
which likely means ditching choose signals (which I discourage in most circumstances).

I wouldn't ever believe it, but as I lost control over the station I redesigned its routes without choosesignals, assigning every platform to a specific line and it's muuuuuch more fluid and functional now.
I still have to tune a bit the only single-track line I have, as things tend to get a bit jammy there.

Thank you a lot

Ters

I haven't used choose signals for passenger trains in years now, and only occasionally for freight stations. Even then, I only use them for platforms where trains belonging to the same line wait for full load, never for unloading. An optimal flow of trains requires planning.