News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Enforcing weight limits

Started by jamespetts, May 01, 2013, 12:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I have just added a new option to the code for the enforcement of weight limits, allowing vehicles to route over ways for which they are up to 10% overweight, but at reduced speed, but not route over ways for which they are more than 10% overweight. That gives a total of four options for the enforce_weight_limits setting. I should be interested in people's views as to which is preferable for the next release of Pak128.Britain-Ex. For reference, all four options are as follows:

0: weight limits not enforced at all;
1: vehicles can go over ways for which they are overweight, but at reduced speed (which is reduced even more if the vehicles are more than 10% overweight);
2: vehicles cannot go over ways for which they are overweight at all (currently used); or
3: vehicles can go over ways for which they are up to 10% overweight at reduced speed, but not ways for which they are more than 10% overweight (new).

I should be interested in the discussion of the relative merits of these settings, particularly nos. 2 and 3.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

I would not add this feature.
If convoys use this route regularly, a proper way upgrade should be done or vehicles should be chosen carefully.
#1 also sufficiently covers #3

IRL, convoys heavier or larger than allowed are rarely done and also require special permission to travel.

If this is to allow convoys to get back to a depot, then maybe only allow convoys to traverse when their destination is a depot?
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Quote from: ӔO on May 01, 2013, 12:58:46 AM
If this is to allow convoys to get back to a depot, then maybe only allow convoys to traverse when their destination is a depot?

That was not the specific intention - this would be a somewhat confusing and counter-intuitive mode, I think: it would not be clear to the player why it should work with some destinations and not others.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

dannyman

The weight should reduce at say, 10% below the weight limit.  If you exceed the weight limit, the cops pull you over and fine you.

Seriously, though, having a specific, hard weight limit is less confusing for players.

If the UI can tell you max loaded weight of a vehicle at purchase time, that helps too.  The most fun is when you start a pax line, then business picks up and the vehicles stop running.  It would be nice if the company managers understood the weight limits of various available routes and only loaded vehicles up to the optimal weight limit.  Keep the buses running but reduce the crush capacity due to road constraints, unless there is an economical detour.  Would have to be a bit careful that loading to 100% full actually means loading to 100% of permitted weight limit.

In fact, yeah, if the company managers were smart enough about loading their vehicles to the limits of their preferred route, I don't need to worry much about weight limits at all.  Instead of "darnit, why has my vehicle stopped running" I'm more likely to think "darnit, why aren't they loading it more fully?  AHA!  Need to upgrade that bridge ..."

I do like knowing about the option to turn weight limits off.  There's always some little bug in the pakset to make a player crazy.  :)

And ... the heavier the vehicle, the slower it runs ... we already deal with this as players ... do we really get any more from the game if we factor in weight limits?

-danny

jamespetts

The convoy maximum loaded weight is specified in the depot/replace window already; this convoy weight is now used for bridges and water based ways. For ways other than bridges and water based ways, the axle load is used, which is a fixed figure, independent of the loading, and again, this is shown in the depot/replace window. With this next version, therefore, there is no more guesswork required in relation to vehicles' loaded weight: all the weights that are used in the game are shown clearly in the depot/replace window.

merry

I have noted an oddity in weight behaviour in pakBritain 0.9.0 with Exp 10.27.

One of the track types has a limit of 69t
The GWR Star class loco has a weight of 69t as well. But it will not travel over 69t track, it is claimed to be too heavy.

is this a rounding issue perhaps? A compare error (it shoudl logically be <=, has < been implemented?)
Not a disaster but rather annoying.

Ta,
Merry

(oh well, back to client projects, it was a nice 10-min break!)

jamespetts

The weight limit system has in any event been changed in the new code for the next release, so hopefully this will no longer be an issue.