News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Monuments for members of Simutrans community who put through some good work

Started by Peyo, January 09, 2009, 09:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peyo

I know that I am new here, but I just hope I don't get banned for this... :o :(

But... ;D

Every particular members of the Simutrans Community that has contributed something worthwhile to the game should get, IMHO, a monument of his own, as per the game. Even those who provide some in-depth inspiration/help out. And specially those who did the add-ons, like an example, gauthier, or those that do some error checking (patchers: IMHO that means like patching things up), like an example, z9999. :) BTW, it should specify on the monuments text menu that what part of it, is that particular monument for (Add-ons (maybe even specifically), inspiration etc...). And/or even specify the work that particular member overtook, if possible... If it's mixed, then just list them in one sentence in order of what they worked upon from first to last. If that's possible in any manner or form... :-\

I know you might say this might clutter the game up, but not necessarily, as they appear randomly or can be placed on the map manually, too. Just as long as they are there, somewhere stored, in the game's memory. ;) :)

If this sounds, in any way unsatifactory, please just tell me and pleease don't ban me for my mistake (especially the admins, IMHO = administrators). I did not mean to cause any harm nor be disrespectful, in any manner or form. I was just an idea... :-\ :)

EDIT: It would also apply for every one of you (every each one who is devoted to this forum and/or to this game), as well. :)

vilvoh

It's a good way to make a tribute to all those people that have dedicated a lot of time to this game. Some of the Simutrans legends have a momument in the game (Hajo, Seth Triggs, some coders and painters) and some anonymous users too (i.e. documentation developers)

The main problem is who decides who deserves a monument. If not saying some of the people you have mention deserve one, but my list may be different from yours. That's why I would not make personal monuments. IMHO, would be better to make it for groups of people, i.e. for debuggers, painters, forum mods, translators, coders, etc..

Another point is that even if pak mantainers decide to accept your request, we need the graphics so the next question is do you have any idea? any design in mind? are you going to paint the graphics by yourself or you need some help?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

emaxectranspoorte

I really apologize for butting in, vilvoh... :o ::) :-[ :-\ :-[

But I think he does require some help :) ... because as he said, before, he knows nothing about "programming, graphics, and/or painting" :o :)

vilvoh

Ok. I haven't realized about that. It doesn't matter. If the idea is interesting, It will surely attract some graphic developers.

The problem is that the inclusion of any object in the official pak does not depend on you, me or he. There're pak mantainers that decide which is included or not. In case of pak64, the official pak, Prissi is the mantainer (and Timothy If I remember correctly) so he has the last word in this issue.

Fabio

what about polls in the Simutrans forum? Igor, say hi if you're here, ihihihihihihihih

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: fabio on January 09, 2009, 09:59:56 AM
what about polls in the Simutrans forum?

That's exactly, one point I've been thinking about, recently, when I have posted my last message above, only forgot... :o :)

IgorEliezer

Quote from: fabio on January 09, 2009, 09:59:56 AM
what about polls in the Simutrans forum? Igor, say hi if you're here, ihihihihihihihih

Hi <insert a smiley here>

Polls are available, but not for everyone: admins can add polls to any topic; and devotees, to own topics. You know why of it... there was people who abused forum resources some time ago, like polls, text formating and... smileys. ;-)

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: IgorTekton on January 09, 2009, 11:24:46 AM
Hi <insert a smiley here>

text formating and... smileys ;-)

NOT ME, NO WAY. I HOPE YOU WEREN'T TALKING ABOUT ME. NOOO WAAAAAY. :o :o

I just get emotional sometimes, that's all... :)

vilvoh

Instead of a poll, why don't each one propose a list of some people or group of people that deserve a monument in Simutrans? Then we choose the common ones with more votes and make a poll. My list:

- Debuggers a.k.a buggy boys (atm, z9999 is the most and I guess the only one active debugger)
- The german section composed by Weinerman (a.k.a Dark knight), Frank and hellmade.
- Patches coders. they've been very active, specially in this new stage of the community after the server incident. I'm refering to gerw, isidoro, jamespetts, Dwachs, z9999, snide, kierongreen, leopard,etc..
- IgorTekton as he's the new Benevolent Dictator..shall we expect he will paint its own monument?  ::)
- Pak96.comic crew (A. Brose, Sojo, Noel, etc..)
- Perhaps Leopard for her efforts on adapting Simutrans to MAC and VS as the new 128pak mantainer.

I don't know if Prissi already has a monument, if not I would add him to the list too.

emaxectranspoorte

z9999

On the old forum, rmax drew many monuments for pak128.
So, if someone wants to draw a monument for someone, it's Okay.
But it's not a vote matter, I think.

( And I don't need a monument for me. )

Quote from: vilvoh on January 09, 2009, 11:51:11 AM
I don't know if Prissi already has a monument, if not I would add him to the list too.

http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/03141.0/index.html#msg22066

vilvoh

Oh, now I remember that monument...it's from 128pak.

sojo

Pak96.comic have only one monument. "The first simuthanian". An old dark monument, there is something special.

Monuments in pak96.comic will remain something special.

Memories and praises for the gigants at Simutrans get a special attraction or a special factory in pak96.comic.

F.e.
- pak.german administration building
- culture centre for Mhz
- japanese temple for pak.japan
- lighthouse for A. Brose
- some citynames Dirkensen (Dirk), Georgenstadt (MHz), Hoirkleben (Hoirkman), Frankleben (Frank), Brosestadt (A. Brose), Prisendorf (Prissi), Lukistadt (luki haba)

Edit: Planned is for the programmers a diamond village (like Silicon Village) as factory or attraction.
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: vilvoh on January 09, 2009, 11:51:11 AM
- IgorTekton as he's the new Benevolent Dictator..shall we expect he will paint its own monument?  ::)

I also vote for fabio, IgorTekton, VS and gauthier (and his MLM developments) most of all ;) :) ... As for the others... I'm still thinking ... :-\

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Peyo

Quote from: sojo on January 09, 2009, 12:37:53 PM
... some citynames Dirkensen (Dirk), Georgenstadt (MHz), Hoirkleben (Hoirkman), Frankleben (Frank), Brosestadt (A. Brose), Prisendorf (Prissi), Lukistadt (luki haba)

Edit: Planned is for the programmers a diamond village (like Silicon Village) as factory or attraction.

Even better, this idea is certainly getting better by the moment, thanks sojo. All of you who make the major decisions for the game (examples: Prissi, etc... ) and those who maintain (including all admins) this forum so nicely and kindly should get each a attraction and/or a city of their own. Don't worry, I did not forget about you, Hajo, for you I would suggest a great big city as a tourist attraction with a large amount of tourists visiting it, made from a very (or containing) a very valuable material. IMHO. :) 

EDIT: As for the voting, my apologies, but I haven't decided, as I don't really know may people from around here, yet :-\ ... only I thought I would make a nice gesture with this extension request. ;) :)

sojo

Peyo

Quote from: sojo on January 09, 2009, 04:57:17 PM
Peyo what will you tell us?

Look one post before this ... and I will also Edit it further, right now, actually... ;) :)

EDIT :D : I think I've done editing it. :)

vilvoh

Quote from: VS on January 09, 2009, 01:43:46 PM
I don't want a monument. I did nothing worthy such recognition.

Come one, don't be modest, VS....  ::)

Back to the topic, I think the point is that this kind of actions must be spontaneous not planned, as happened with rmax statues in 128pak. He made them and then the pak mantainers decided to include them. It was not intentional. IMHO, that's the proper way it should be done. So, let's start painting, guys!!

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: Peyo on January 09, 2009, 04:52:36 PM
... I did not forget about you, Hajo, for you I would suggest a great big city as a tourist attraction with a large amount of tourists visiting it, made from a very (or containing) a very valuable material. IMHO. :) 

I would suggest :) a (more than 9 by 9 tiles big city based) tourist attraction made from the most valuable metal material, on the planet, Platinum. Or as sojo said diamonds for precious stones. Frank, the "tireless teuton" (from earlier in the forum) should get a gold and the one following Frank who has an important status in Simutrans should and/or can get a gold and a silver, bronze etc... cities following consecutively after Hajo, if we are speaking of precious metals. :) Anyway... IMHO

EDIT: Hajo's monument and/or attraction should also be in all the other games he had created, from his website (that I got from his profile), if possible... :-\

Peyo

Quote from: emaxectranspoorte on January 09, 2009, 05:51:31 PM
I would suggest :) a (more than 9 by 9 tiles big city based) tourist attraction made from the most valuable metal material, on the planet, Platinum. Or as sojo said diamonds for precious stones. Frank, the "tireless teuton" (from earlier in the forum) should get a gold and the one following Frank who has an important status in Simutrans should and/or can get a gold and a silver, bronze etc... cities following consecutively after Hajo, if we are speaking of precious metals. :)

EDIT: Hajo's monument and/or attraction should also be in all the other games he had created, from his website (that I got from his profile), if possible... :-\

Thanks Emax, for you well thought out ideas and wise suggestions. :)

Also thanks for everyone else for helping me for this requests and also for you thoughts, suggestions and polls. ;) :)
Quote from: emaxectranspoorte on January 09, 2009, 05:51:31 PM
ANYWAY, IMHO.  HOPE I DIDN'T UPSET AND/OR OFFEND ANYONE.

I shall ask you kindly to please stop apologizing so much :o IMHO, as I am not upset, and I think none of the other memebers of this forum are :) , right everyone? ??? ... You will find that people here are quite friendly and helpfull, so no need to apologize, ok, emax? ;) :)

EDIT: z9999, if you don't want a monument, you don't have to have one, that was just an example, I used, I could of used any other name, just as well... but that one just came to mind, then... :)

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: VS on January 09, 2009, 01:43:46 PM
I don't want a monument. I did nothing worthy such recognition.

That's up to you of course - but you were the guy who gave us Shades (and that is one hell of a tool!) and now you took over the responsibilities of a very popular pakset. So it isn't really like you haven't done anything... 8)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

sojo

Hajo have in the pak96.comic a tree. The "Hajopalme". You can find him, no it ;) , at the tropical climate.

VS is a nice guy. He will get a own cityname in my citylist. But, I have no idea just yet.

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

VS

Eh, if you want to play with my name, it's Vladimír Slávik (the small lines above wowels mean say it longer) and casual form is Vláďa (it sounds a bit like Vlaadya - both As are same sound as first in "under").

Vauessen... good one! I never had any nickname so you are stuck with my initials I guess :D
VladStadt?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

sojo

VS

isidoro

If I have to have a monument, whether real or virtual, please wait until I'm dead.   :P
The pleasure of having one can only be compared to the displeasure of the monument being removed if something wrong is done.  And I cannot trust myself in that respect at all.  Join me to the VS's group, if he doesn't mind.

I propose, instead, "a monument to the unknown patcher", who gave his life time battling against code.   :D

sojo

Vladiland
Vladiham
Slávikpool
Slávikton
Slávipolis

What is the best?

VS

Let's create LoCAM - League of Contributors Against Monumentalization! Founding member is prissi... and we are already three :)

sojo

Peyo

Quote from: VS on January 09, 2009, 08:41:15 PM
Let's create LoCAM - League of Contributors Against Monumentalization! Founding member is prissi... and we are already three :)

So you want to sabotage my nice gesture that I am trying to make? :D I am bit dissapointed in you, VS. :)

Quote from: sojo on January 09, 2009, 08:51:27 PM
I will no monument, too. I give it only to others! *lol*

I really couldn't believe my eyes, :o but that ok, you two don't really want monuments. I accept. :)

DirrrtyDirk

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

The nice gesture is nice, but I would be really uncomfortable knowing that I am made into somebody important... while the truth is, I mostly hinder things :P I just look important because I talk a lot.

There are people who deserve monuments more than me. They all did something for Simutrans, maybe not visible to all, but they did. I probably forget a lot of people now, but anyway - in no particular order:

Shunter
- music, trees
Isaac
- server for some 3 years or so
powersack
- the graphics site, which always broke, but served for quite long, too! A lot of work went into that one.
Hendrik Siegeln
- airplanes and lots of other programming stuff
MHz
- well you all know
tron
- svn
Joker
- maps, maps site, lots of buildings, diplomacy
Sojo
- the set with perhaps biggest potential so far
Wernieman
- nightlies

...so there. Anyone feel like expanding the list?

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: VS on January 10, 2009, 06:10:17 PM
Joker
- maps, maps site, lots of buildings, diplomacy

Yes, I have one. Forum regulations and guidelines...