News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Different coverage area for different types of stations.

Started by mad_genius, June 16, 2013, 09:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad_genius

It would be usefull to be able to set a different size for the coverage area of PAX stations versus cargo stations.

Right now all stations have the same coverage area size which seems odd since passengers can walk more to reach a station than cargo.
Being able to set the coverage area for passenger, mail and cargo stations separatly would provide more flexibility to the player.

Ters

I think it would make more sense to have different catchment areas for passengers and goods, rather than the corresponding stations, since stations can be both. A relatively small station composed of both buildings for passengers and buildings for goods should in my opinion have a passenger catchment area extending equally far from every part of the station, also the goods buildings. As the station grows, this can become rather silly, but I don't see a way of stopping such things either way (all you would need is one passenger building, and the passenger catchment area is extended straight across a big freight yard).

Fabio

only certain stops / extensions could have a flag to extend coverage, while simple platforms or storage facilities would be part of the station and increase capacity without adding to the coverage area.

Ters

Quote from: Fabio on June 16, 2013, 10:41:09 AM
only certain stops / extensions could have a flag to extend coverage, while simple platforms or storage facilities would be part of the station and increase capacity without adding to the coverage area.

For goods, I feel it is natural that warehouses and platforms extends coverage, while passenger buildings and decorative things should have no effect. For passengers, it depends a bit on the type of station. But I'm not sure what this suggestion has to do with this extension request. It seems rather independent to me.

Vonjo

Simutrans Experimental has a separate station coverage setting for passenger and freight.

prissi

While indeed freight cannot walk, it may be confusing to many players. Simutrans already is quite complex to new players; indeed in the OpenTTD forum you will find more "Simutrans was too complex for me" posting than the reverse.

Thus I would only see "no catchment area" for goods as an alternative, i.e. you must touch the factory.

Václav

Quote from: prissi on June 16, 2013, 09:42:05 PM
Thus I would only see "no catchment area" for goods as an alternative, i.e. you must touch the factory.
But in case of fielded factories this may be a problem - because stations must be in coverage area of central building of such factories - and touching of central building may be impossible in some cases. Fielded factories have often 8 fields at least - and here coverage span of 2 tiles around is very useful.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

mad_genius

Quote from: Ters on June 16, 2013, 10:29:57 AM
I think it would make more sense to have different catchment areas for passengers and goods, rather than the corresponding stations, since stations can be both. A relatively small station composed of both buildings for passengers and buildings for goods should in my opinion have a passenger catchment area extending equally far from every part of the station, also the goods buildings. As the station grows, this can become rather silly, but I don't see a way of stopping such things either way (all you would need is one passenger building, and the passenger catchment area is extended straight across a big freight yard).
How is the station coverage determined? Is it calculated for every single station component (platform or extension building)? Or is it calculated for the station as a whole?

- If the coverage is individual for each station component, then a simple solution would be to correspond the catchment areas to the platforms and extension buildings. A simple "catchment area overlay" would allow the player to quickly see what's inside it and what's not.
The information panel of the station (that panel that shows the cargo/PAX that's waiting in the station) could have a button to show the overlay of that station only. The main toolbar in the top could have a button to show the catchment areas of all stations (I believe there's already a keyboard shortcut for that but I'm not 100% sure)

- If the coverage is calculated for the station as a whole, then I think the solution Ters is proposing would get the job done without complicating to much.

Quote from: Vonjo on June 16, 2013, 12:19:36 PM
Simutrans Experimental has a separate station coverage setting for passenger and freight.
How is this mechanic implemented in experimental? Perhaps it's just a matter of merging this functionality into the standard version.

Ters

Quote from: mad_genius on June 17, 2013, 11:35:51 AM
How is the station coverage determined? Is it calculated for every single station component (platform or extension building)? Or is it calculated for the station as a whole?

- If the coverage is individual for each station component, then a simple solution would be to correspond the catchment areas to the platforms and extension buildings. A simple "catchment area overlay" would allow the player to quickly see what's inside it and what's not.
The information panel of the station (that panel that shows the cargo/PAX that's waiting in the station) could have a button to show the overlay of that station only. The main toolbar in the top could have a button to show the catchment areas of all stations (I believe there's already a keyboard shortcut for that but I'm not 100% sure)

- If the coverage is calculated for the station as a whole, then I think the solution Ters is proposing would get the job done without complicating to much.

Coverage is for the station as a whole, calculated out from each and every tile of it. There is a catchment area overlay already. It shows both tiles covered by any station, and tiles covered by the station currently under the mouse cursor.