News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Weight handling tests

Started by Zeno, July 05, 2013, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

Hi there. I've setup three different rail tracks with a couple of locomotives, and I am testing how does the weight system work:

1) Way max weight=18t; locomotive BR-103 weight 114 t / 6 axle = 19 t/axle. Result: locomotive runs with a "too heavy" tooltip, at a speed of 93 km/h (maximum is 200 km/h).

2) Way max weight=18t; locomotive T2000 weight 74 t / 6 axle = 12.3 t/axle. Result: locomotive runs normally at its maximum speed of 160 km/h.

3) Way max weight=20t; locomotive BR-103 weight 114 t / 6 axle = 19 t/axle. Result: locomotive runs at maximum line speed (160 km/h).

4) Way max weight=20t; locomotive LKAB-IORE (x2) weight 180 t / 6 axle = 30 t/axle. Result: locomotive runs with a "too heavy" tooltip, at a speed of 16 km/h (maximum is 80 km/h).

5) Way max weight=50t; locomotive LKAB-IORE (x2) weight 180 t / 6 axle = 30 t/axle. Result: locomotive runs normally at its maximum speed of 80 km/h.

6) Way max weight=50t; locomotive RENFE 251 weight 123 t / 0 axle = 0 t/axle. Result: locomotive runs normally at its maximum speed of 160 km/h.

I think everything works fine, as far as I can see.

Other things I have realized are that the tilting mode seems to work, because the T2000 is a tilting train and can take turns at 160km/h in a 160km/h way, while at least another different train I've tested can't. I wonder though why those same trains can run at full speed in curves when I upgrade the track to a 280 km/h one. Does that make sense? I thought that was something train-dependant, not track dependant...

greenling

Hello Zeno
have you get makeobj exp too work that you can this said?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

Thank you for testing - glad that all appears to work! As to tilting, can you give any further details? Tilting allows for the trains to go at a higher proportion of the speed limit of the way at the corner (a third faster than non-tilting trains). Are your setups identical for each test?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Zeno

Actually the behavior described was with a non tilting train which turned faster in same curve angle of a faster track. Does the curve speed get calculated as a percentage of the max speed, based on the angle?

jamespetts

Yes - that's exactly how it works.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Zeno

Uhm, then it works as intended... I don't know how it works in real life, but I'd say that real locomotives have the same maximum curve speed on all tracks; it's not the track quality what improves the train max speed at curves but the bogie structure, number of axles, weight, height, etc., isn't it?

jamespetts

The idea behind this, for the shallower curves (this does not affect the steeper curves) is that higher quality track is likely to be laid on a smoother course and/or have cant to allow higher speeds. This is partly because of the fact that we do not have a realistic range of angles available in Simutrans, so it is difficult to work out what the equivalent of various sorts of shallow corners actually is in real life.