News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Overlapping graphics

Started by vorlon, July 08, 2013, 12:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vorlon

I made this simple one-way road with benches and trees to give pedestrians more room in the city centre during this era of cars.  :)

But it seems that the task wasn't as simple as it first seemed. The buildings adjacent to the road overlap the trees growing on the sidewalk which looks a bit strange. I suppose it's intended that ways appear under buildings, vehicles and other such objects. But I remember seeing on the forum roads which had fixed lamp poles without any graphical errors. So are there some special parametres to the dat files which allow more images to deal with this error? A guaranteed solution would be to code the trees as a wayobject, but it's a nuisance while placing the road in-game.

Another similar issue I found (not related to my road though) is the buses overlapping the oneway-signs. A bug with the sign, it seems.

IgorEliezer

Oh dear, I simply loved it.

I had plans to make more add-ons towards urban design (pedestrian lanes, parks etc) but I have never got around to making them. In fact, I made a very small step toward that: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=3526.0. (ack! ancient topic in Portuguese, it seems broken too)

EDIT: fixed awkward typo in a lazy Monday morning. ;D

EDIT2: argh, I had to fix the fix.

VS

What happens if you rotate the world - does the road still work?

Alternatively, you could set their speed to 0 so that nothing can really use them. Then you could do anything, graphics-wise :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

you need to use draw_as_ding=1 flag in dat file.
you can also put objects in the front using frontimage entries. (check faster roads in pak128 svn)
also a way object could be better than a road since roads will be replaced by standard city road in time.

greenling

Hello vorlon
Quote from: vorlon on July 08, 2013, 12:46:21 PM

Your road they you have be make look very good out.
And that with the sign it a bug.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

vorlon

Quote from: VS
What happens if you rotate the world - does the road still work?

That never crossed my mind, I usually don't rotate my games. But I had to try, and the asymmetrical crossings obviously didn't aling correctly anymore. It doesn't really matter, since the usage of this way is very limited anyway.

Quote from: VS
Alternatively, you could set their speed to 0 so that nothing can really use them. Then you could do anything, graphics-wise :)

True, but the crossings would also terminate the cross streets which is quite unpractical. Besides, it's much nicer to see it actually being used!

Quote from: Fabio
you need to use draw_as_ding=1 flag in dat file.

Thanks Fabio, it worked! Since the road is now finished and there seems to be some demand, I'm putting it available for download. I can upload the sources as well if anyone wants.

DISCLAIMER: Consult doctor before downloading if you have been diagnosed with allergy of micromanagement or obsessive map rotating -syndrome.  ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fevjubzc2wtan6/way.oneway_road.pak