News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Park and ride

Started by killwater, June 20, 2013, 07:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killwater

Hello
Is it intended to have park and ride facilities in experimental in the future?
What I mean is that a passenger will be driving a car to a station extention then switch to the train?

jamespetts

Yes, this is planned, although there are a number of other priorities - foremost among them bug fixing - before work on this can begin. Other economic features might also be given priority.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

greenling

Who Jamespetts
That it go to hear that´s you plan to build in Pak and ride system in simutrans exp.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

killwater

What a shame. I miss this feature a lot. It would help to avoid running local buses for every city.

By the way is there any probable realese date for next version of experimental and/or pak128.britan-ex?

jamespetts

I was rather hoping to have it released already, but this bug has rather got in the way of that. Since I don't know what the problem actually is yet, it is hard to predict when it will be fixed, but that is my Simutrans priority at present.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

If Park-and-ride is coded, it needs to be done such that passengers can only make a car journey at one end of their public transport trip. They can't do citycar-train-citycar.

killwater

Why so? Have you forgotten about taxi service?

kierongreen

Or car hire - particularly when flying people often hire a car at the other end... Indeed you could have a variety of extensions - car park, taxi rank and car hire which could extend station coverage in interesting ways...

AP

I hadn't forgotten about taxi services. But most park and rides relate to commuter flows. Given that a large proportion of rail passenger traffic is commuter flows, relatively few commuters take taxis or hire cars each day at the 'work' end of their journeys.

Indeed, I doubt any city has sufficient taxi capacity for each arriving passenger to take an onward taxi journey. I presume that could be checked quite easily by finding out how many registered hackney carriages there are in a random town (e.g. Reading) vs the passenger usage stats for Reading station. I doubt there's taxi capacity for even a quarter of the arriving passengers if you filled every taxi fully.

Taxis typically carry one passenger onward, whereas a bus can carry 50+. It was a big issue in rail decline post Beeching cuts (1963) that the replacement/interconnecting buses were so poor, and nobody parked-and-rode because they couldn't complete the 'last few miles' at the other end of their train ride. They just drove all the way. Hence I say that the park and ride should allow passengers to drive at the 'origin' end of their journey only. It would (realistically) ensure investment in local bus routes by players or (realistically) lead to a drop in traffic if they are neglected.

killwater

So maybe long distance passengers should have much higher percentage of finishing their ride by taxi or car rental.