News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Poll: average map size in games

Started by vilvoh, January 13, 2009, 04:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

I usually play with small maps, however since some time ago I've realized that many people usually play with medium and large maps, so I would like to know your tastes about this.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Fabio

384*384 up to 512*512

but i don't remember last time i ACTUALLY played and not tested something...

VS

Usually something reasonable. Area rises with second power of length... I don't want to be lost on a Simutrans map! And considering signalling long routes, no thanks to this generous RSI offer ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

IgorEliezer

Hello polls, long time no see. :D

I play (when I play) with small maps and I'm got used to start with 2 small villages.

Quote from: Poll( ) larger than 2048x2048

Who would play in such size, Japaneses?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4BcD6uN5H8

vilvoh

I know people that usually play 1900x1900 so that kind of players exist. it's a rare species....::)

jbode

I play rectangular maps with a good portion of water ... (not too big for my system, but still good to use all means of transport) - 128x640
What category should I sacrifice my vote?!?

vilvoh

I think the inclussion of another possible answer called rectangular may confuse people, so I guess that size should be considered as medium size.

Zeno

Quote from: vilvoh on January 13, 2009, 04:48:59 PM
I know people that usually play 1900x1900 so that kind of players exist. it's a rare species....::)
That's me! I use to play with 1920x1920 or 2048x2048 maps.
Few industries, but I enjoy building extra-complex passenger transport networks (involving trams, subways, regional+highspeed trains, planes...).
The only bad thing is waiting 20 seconds or so while my computer saves the game  :P

Combuijs

I want to be able to see the whole map with zoomfactor 1:1. This means I usually start 1152 x 640 games, which qualifies as medium. A larger or better screen would mean larger games. I usually start in 1960 with no cities, no factories and no attractions and manually add one city every year and one attraction every third year on random locations. Target is to connect everything with everything. (And I use fast forward if nothing happens).
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Simppe

Looks that I play with tiny maps usually 192x192  :D

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: Zeno on January 13, 2009, 05:10:07 PM
That's me! I use to play with 1920x1920 or 2048x2048 maps.
Few industries, but I enjoy building extra-complex passenger transport networks (involving trams, subways, regional+highspeed trains, planes...).
The only bad thing is waiting 20 seconds or so while my computer saves the game  :P

and maglevs...

Mostly 1024x1024, 1024x860, 1024x420, and vice vera. But also one of Combuijs size above.

I recently have also a 1 map 2048x2048. Takes a lot of time to save though: about 15 seconds on average and ??? load time 30 minutes on average :o .

wipi35

Mostly 640*384 because mapsize with zoomlevel 1:2 just fits in the window.
My actual game has 9 cities, each with 1 supermarket, 1 cardealer and 1 or 2 fuelstations. All supplied by only 1 refinery, 1 carfactory, 1 brewery, 1 cannery and 1 foodfactory. That requires a lot of transport!

KrazyJay

I use 256x256, with 20 cities, median 2000, 20 industry chains, 20 tourist attractions, no chronology. But then, I'm lazy but complex.
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

sojo

I will not vote. Developer are an own species.  ;)

I test many things. So I need mostly small maps. But sometimes an medium size.

I never really play. Often I "build" only a for a nice screenshot.

But I think, you should start with a smaller map. You can later enlarge the map, but you can't decrease it.

Edit: In what I really be interested is which pakset play small-map-gamers and what pakset play big-map-gamers?
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

micslu

Currently working on 256x320 because I started last year when my office PC  ;) was slower than a donkey.
And I thought I was being adventurous working on such a big map!!! But now I learn this is smaller than small  :'(
Soon I'll see if this newer PC can handle a midsize map game.
Cheers!

emaxectranspoorte

Quote from: sojo on January 13, 2009, 06:25:13 PM

But I think, you should start with a smaller map. You can later enlarge the map, but you can't decrease it.

That's exactly what I'm doing with one map I'm using at the moment. :)

Quote from: sojo on January 13, 2009, 06:25:13 PM
Edit: In what I really be interested is which pakset play small-map-gamers and what pakset play big-map-gamers?

pak64 and pak128? :-\ I think, if that's what you meant.

Zeno

Quote from: emaxectranspoorte on January 13, 2009, 05:42:42 PM
Takes a lot of time to save though: about 15 seconds on average and ??? load time 30 minutes on average :o .
15 seconds saving and 30 minutes loading? ??? How do you get entertained while it loads?? :o

emaxectranspoorte

Forum, recently figuring out what to translate :) (if the game doesn't crash while it's loading first :o )

EDIT: Then I'll have to reload it. ::) :(

lukesleftleg

I've mostly been playing on 768x768.

Any bigger and I get lost.

Peyo

I have got a 1320x1320 map I made most of my preparations for my unfinished extension request before. :)

Edit: At the moment, anyway... ;) ;D

Combuijs

QuoteEdit: In what I really be interested is which pakset play small-map-gamers and what pakset play big-map-gamers?

As I use medium sized maps I don't qualify for an answer  ;). Still, I alternate between pak64 and pak128. At the moment I'm doing pak128 with underground and maglev add-ons. Probably for my next game I will look into pak96.comic. If enough truck, ships and fast trains or planes are available for goods, passengers and mail I will give it a try.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

wernieman

I like the medium-Size ... but sometimes smaler ,,,
since there is a "Make Map Bigger"-Button, I modify the smal-games to bigger Maps ... (When I have Time to play)
I hope you understand my English

vilvoh

Wow!! We have a lot of votes and opinions.. :o

I'm agree with Sojo, graphic developers usually use small or medium maps, in my case with different configurations and structures to test vehicles (planes, trains, trucks, ships, etc..) and buildings, but always smaller than 512x512.

As far as I've read, this could be a summary: casual and old players usually play with small maps, while hardcore and new players prefer large maps. Furthermore, we have a category appart for people that play rectangular maps... :D

IgorEliezer

Quote from: vilvoh on January 14, 2009, 08:35:37 AM
Wow!! We have a lot of votes and opinions.. :o

Seems we need more topics and surveys like this one in the community. :D

colonyan

I'm leaning toward more smaller maps.
Large maps are overwhelming for me.

Roads

I like big maps with lots of unused landscape.  It does take awhile to get familiar with the map but that is part of the fun.  I guess it is an RP thing that those Simutranians really need transportation when thing are spread out.  Besides it is just great watching those trains travel long distances winding around hills and through groves of trees.  Actually I prefer virtual travel to the real thing...  :)

V813

Hi,
I play with 256x256 maps, the default size, on 99.09.3/99.17.1.
I still consider myself a beginner on Simutrans, and I want to play with simpler maps before I play with those more complicated systems. So I never got to play with high-speed rails, airplanes and maglevs.
Usually start with 0-8 small cities and a few power stations.
V813
Simutrans newbie.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

My normal preference isn't listed well -- I like to play skinny and tall, e.g. 64x4096 or whatever (back when I played... but I'll play again soon :D )

hanged94

heh, my maps are mostly 64X64, the smallest ever....
My networks usually fail, and I try and try again.... Well, at least I try(:
I've thought of playing bigger maps, but I don't really know what to do with those unused space.
Sometimes I simply make heart shapes using trees over those empty land.