News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

distance scale

Started by asaphxiix, July 18, 2013, 07:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

Question: Would it be detrimental to gameplay, trying to play with a different (specifically, a shorter) meters per square? What kind of phenomena are expected in terms of balancing?

jamespetts

The current version (0.9.0) halves the previous meters per tile value from 250m in 0.8.4 to 125m in 0.9.0. (I should note that the Bridgewater-Brunel game still uses 250m/tile, as it was created using version 0.8.4).

There is no harm in people trying different values to see how things work out, but the reason that I did not set the distance scale any lower than 125m/tile is because it would then get very difficult to have long distance journeys within a reasonable map size. If it were not for that aspect of things, a lower value would be better (down to about 30-40 meters, at least, at which point the distance scale would be larger than the graphics scale, which would be odd).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Carl

FWIW I've done some testing of a map at 20 metres per tile. The main superficial difference you notice is that the vehicles can move very slowly (largely due to acceleration/braking happening over a longer period of real-world time).

asaphxiix

Quote from: Carl on July 19, 2013, 07:34:23 AM
FWIW I've done some testing of a map at 20 metres per tile. The main superficial difference you notice is that the vehicles can move very slowly (largely due to acceleration/braking happening over a longer period of real-world time).

so there's no substantial impact on service quality due to this slowness?

Carl

My testing was fairly limited (sorry, should have made this clear). I've no idea how this would impact on balancing.