News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Rails+Line building tool

Started by valten, July 21, 2013, 06:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valten

It would be great to have an option or a new tool bar or tool bar subset so that one could build at the same time rails and the associated electric line (in order to limit the number of tools to add, the line type would be computed to be consistent with the rails being built).

Thanks!

ps: if the railroad toolbar is too small, you may consider moving the building tools to the special construction toolbar after the oiltanks

Ters

For pak64 this would triple the number of buttons for building railroads, from 4 to 12. I don't think that's a good idea, even if one could remove the two buttons for building just overhead wires (the one for removal must be kept). In addition, one would have to triple the buttons for bridges and tunnels. I don't see any buttons that can be hidden away on some other toolbar. It would become a mess.

Fabio

A modifies (ALT?) could add the closest matching catenary...

Fifty

Could the gui be modified to allow selecting a way and a wayobj at the same time? Like you could press wooden sleeper track and then also select a power overhead, pushing again to deselect.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

jamespetts

Quote from: Fifty on July 21, 2013, 11:06:39 PM
Could the gui be modified to allow selecting a way and a wayobj at the same time? Like you could press wooden sleeper track and then also select a power overhead, pushing again to deselect.

This is probably the easiest interface to use and understand.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ters

It is, and it saves the artists from making m·n button images, but I don't know how easy it is to code into Simutrans.

kierongreen

Would require some extra work but I'd actually add to this extension that you could have signals also built at the same time (so whenever/whoever might code this should allow possibility for 3 active tools at least).

valten

Max-Max

It sounds like a good idea to have some toggle buttons to "compose"a brush. in my gui update I'm planning to implement grouped toggle buttons.

Likewise we could have a drop down button for tracks, bridges, roads... no need to have 7 buttons for tracks.
- My code doesn't have bugs. It develops random features...

captain crunch

Quote from: Max-Max on August 03, 2013, 12:19:19 AM
we could have a drop down button for tracks, bridges, roads... no need to have 7 buttons for tracks.
I like having seven buttons for tracks which I can oversee all at once. I find it cumbersome to have to 'discover' the options by opening sub menus.

kierongreen

I would assume it would be pakset specific. Some paksets desperately need some tidying in menus and this would help (pak128.Britain without timeline has 106 items in the rail menu for example!)

ӔO

IMO, the current tool bars are fine, but could use better grouping.

Currently, they are ordered in a line and wrap around to the next row when there are more icons than can fit in a single row. This has the problem of not giving any context within columns that will inevitably form when there are a lot of items.

It would be better if each type of icons are boxed together, both horizontally and vertically, when the menu is longer than the screen can fit in a single row.

Only trouble with this, is that the menu can take up even more room with blank spaces, as not all types of icons have easily boxed numbers.

some prime numbers wouldn't play too nicely with 2, 3, 4 or 5 rows.
7, 11, 13...
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart: