News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

[0.9.0] Oil Fired power plants consume too much for fuel available

Started by ӔO, July 24, 2013, 11:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

Oil refineries cannot produce fuel oil fast enough to consistently feed an oil fired power plant.

currently it takes a minimum of 3 refineries and 5 to 7 crude oil producing factories to keep one power plant fed.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

I think that the problem is that the output of the oil refineries is too low: see the calculations in this thread for details. I have now recalibrated the outputs based on those calculations, which effectively means doubling them. Hopefully, this should suffice.

Edit: I have also increased the output of oil rigs.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on July 27, 2013, 10:55:09 AM
I think that the problem is that the output of the oil refineries is too low: see the calculations in this thread for details. I have now recalibrated the outputs based on those calculations, which effectively means doubling them. Hopefully, this should suffice.

Edit: I have also increased the output of oil rigs.

I would like to point out that it is very hard to provide the required stock for the late-game coal and oil-power stations in general: the consumption of one coal power stations I have is 38,000 tonnes per month. The problem isn't so much to find sources producing enough, but the fact that the production and the speed of goods trains and their capacity is such that it cannot get to destination fast enough, and the unloading of a load at the station takes longer than it takes for the power station to consume the coal/oil.

jamespetts

Hmm - what game year is that? How long and frequent are your trains? In reality, the larger coal fired power stations need to be fed with a large number of trains frequently, the merry-go-round system being used. Also, is this at 250 or 125m/tile?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on July 28, 2013, 10:59:38 AM
Hmm - what game year is that? How long and frequent are your trains? In reality, the larger coal fired power stations need to be fed with a large number of trains frequently, the merry-go-round system being used. Also, is this at 250 or 125m/tile?

125m; 2020: I run numerous (dozen or so) 14-tile 1500 tonne trains, and the three platform un-loading bays and approaches are constantly occupied by one train or another. It seems a bit excessive to have so many trains running to serve a single power station.

jamespetts

Hmm - maybe the issue is the loading/unloading time for later era coal wagons; it might well be that merry-go-round trains have an equivalently lower loading time. I have changed the loading time to two minutes from seven minutes on my Github branch to try to simulate the automatic hopper unloading of coal wagons. I am not sure whether this is correct, since I do not have data for unloading/loading times for merry-go-round trains.