News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Special color to be painted as grass

Started by Fabio, January 14, 2009, 12:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

Hi, what about creating a new special colour for the ground of the climate?

I would like to use it for a grass roof of a tunnel, but it could have much more uses.

emaxectranspoorte

Fabio

emaxectranspoorte

prissi

Why not making the tunnel transparent at those places? The entry did not need to cover the entire tile. See pak64 sources.

Dwachs

but then you will get graphic errors (see the pak64 street tunnel). This happens, since currently the ground tile cannot be drawn in foreground (that is be displayed over vehicles that are already in the tunnel).

A special color is needed to indicate 'draw pixels of ground here after everything else'.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Roads

If it can be done, grass would improve the look of areas without trees.  If not, maybe some noise?

VS

Typically this is achieved by leaving a transparent hole in the object. Not sure what happens with vehicles entering the tunnel... it is quite possible that they could be seen through. It could depend on placement.

Anyway, tunnel entrances are usually dug in, not stuck out. Yes, the entrance itself does go forward, but it is in a ditch - there is needed something solid above tunnel. So in the end the entrance should look like this:

[attachment deleted by admin]

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

VS, in order for it to look like this (my original idea) the vehicle would need NOT TO disappear on the tunnel entrance, specially now that there will be a new underground view...

Dwachs

Quote from: VS on January 14, 2009, 04:46:38 PM
Typically this is achieved by leaving a transparent hole in the object. Not sure what happens with vehicles entering the tunnel... it is quite possible that they could be seen through. It could depend on placement.

this is what happens here. It happens to short vehicles too, so length is not the issue. Since the error is so massive, it cannot be an alignement error imho.

Here a special color is needed that indicates 'ground to be displayed over / on top of vehicles etc'.

[attachment deleted by admin]

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Well, but those vehicle have a pricipal problem. They are not defined with the correct length. The should be length 12 and length 6. Then those errors would be less severe.

Same thing by the way may heppen below bridges with ships.

Dwachs

@prissi: This can be seen also mit shorter vehicles. Dont know which, can't test at the moment.

What is your opinion about the new special color I proposed? That should solve this problem without extra work on the vehicle graphics side.

prissi

Special colors are static. Thus it cannot replace grass, because it would a different one for each climate. Solving this properly would reuire clipping. (By the way, OpenTTD has the same problem, just hides it better using lower vehicles and only on kind of tunnel.

Dwachs

Then for each climate a copy of the graphic needs to be cached in memory? Or more, if transition tiles are respected. A saw a similar strategy somewhere in the code.