News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[0.9] wool production

Started by asaphxiix, August 09, 2013, 09:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

i'm quite sure that in the online game, I was able to supply the car factory in Staringham with Textile from Spelingchester, which in turn was supplied with wool from the cattle farm in Darwich. It was the only textile line I made, and cars did use to leave the factory until recently so the textile mill must have been supplied!

But now it seems that although they are considered suppliers of textile mills, cattle farm do not, and apparently never used to produce wool at all. and there are no wool suppliers on the map anyway... how did I get textile going to the car factory then? quite confusing.

anyway the bottom line, cattle farms shouldn't be connected to textile mills, I believe. It's probably what's causing them to be out of supply now.

jamespetts

Hmm - looking in the pakset, in 0.9.0 at least, the cattle farm does not produce wool, and the textile mill does not consume livestock or milk. We do not yet have "leather" as a product (we could do with tanneries, however).

It might well be that these connexions were formed in a previous pakset/game version when this was not the case. Does that fit with your recollections of the timings?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

asaphxiix

my version remains mysterious... I only made this wool line last week, after 1981, and I'm sure it did work. but never mind that, what's important is to fix the error :)

jamespetts

Fixing errors is difficult if one cannot find them...

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

asaphxiix

sorry, isn't the error the fact that textile mills and cattle farms are connected in 0.9?

i mean, other than my strange experiences, probably stemming from a very serious human memory malfunction on my side (maybe I connected it to a sheep farm that has closed in the meantime? though I didn't see any announcement on such a closure - but I do know that there used to be sheep farms in this game).

jamespetts

Ahh, but if they were previously connected, merely upgrading the pakset would not automatically disconnect them. Connexions are only checked at the time of building new industries.

asaphxiix

yes that's understandable. so at least for new industries :)

jamespetts

Have there been any new (as opposed to upgraded) industries displaying this behaviour?

asaphxiix

Yes I've seen this happen in new games as well

jamespetts

Hmm. This strikes me as potentially difficult to reproduce. In what circumstances is this most likely to be reproduced? Can you give me a saved game generated in a recent version in which this has occurred?

ӔO

I usually only see this when an industry has upgraded/replaced itself and now accepts a different set of goods, whilst still retaining the connections it previously had.

It happened a lot in 10.x with the server game, but I haven't seen it happen in 11.x.

I think those textile mills have been around for a while now.
I know the brewery had that problem when it replaced itself and accepted steel instead of wood, but that happened in 10.x.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

asaphxiix

this will happen in every new game, for instance in this game in the textile mill in the town of sixshot

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/textile.sve

o_O

I started a game and immediately noticed that the dairy wanted to be supplied by a sheep farm and the textile mill wanted to be supplied by a cattle farm.  For a while I just assumed they wanted sheep milk and leather jackets, but that appears not to be the case.

jamespetts

Hmm - I can't download textile.sve: it claims that the document was not found on the server.

Edit: I have been able to reproduce this locally with new maps. I am not sure what caused this exactly, as it is difficult to track down, but I have added an extra check on the 11.x branch which seems to have stopped this from happening now. Thank you all for the report!