News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Nice station and network build in Experimental

Started by waerth, September 01, 2013, 03:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waerth

First of all apologies if this is not the right place for this. I thought a small ode and thank you to James and the others working hard on experimental and pak britain are in order.

This is about my 10000th simutrans game by now. I started playing when Hajo was still developing it alone and there were barely any graphics, trains, busses etc. I cannot remember how long ago that was I think 2000 or thereabouts.

Anyway this is the biggest possible map 4369*3840 that is possible in Simutrans exp unfortunately :( (my pc can handle much more than that I am sure). With the 4 GB memory patch.

The map has 2000 towns. I set all population numbers to as low as possible. So the biggest town was like close to 5000 inhabitants, which is where I started, Yeringport. The area of Yeringport has quite a few other towns. I started with 10,000,000 credits in 1907 (because that is when the necessary electric units become available). The goal is to build an Electric and Diesel unit only network. It will suffer from heavy losses in the beginning also because I build double track from the start. I usually separate commuter/regional rail from intercity rail.

Yeringport is closely hemmed in by 3 other towns, and the first and only town so far that I completely remodeled. I extensively redid the Central Station area which I moved more out of town and I made a barier with monuments to the north of it to make a clear line between Yeringport and its northern neighbour. Also the area around Yeringport Cricketvelden station was redone extensively. The cricketfield originally was right next to the station which is why there is a strange bend in the commuterline there. The Intercity was build much later and the cricketfield was in the way so I moved that. And redid the area with parks, a school and a library :p It is unfortunate there are not so many area upgrades yet :(

This is Yeringport Centraal Station (forgive the Dutch names on an English map please). It grew from two tracks to this monster. it serves 5 commuter.regional lines, 1 intercity services to another centraal station of a similar size and 1 tram line.

This is a zoom out with Yeringport Cricketvelden and the town.

This is All of Yeringport zomed out. Notice the three towns touching it:

This is the overall network around Yeringport:

jamespetts

This is lovely - I shall be interested to see how this develops!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

waerth

Well since you like it another quick update with some more facts and screenshots.

The map has 1,758,804 inhabitants at September 1908
Towns grow rapidly. One town has grown from 1600 inhabitants to 1900 inhabitants since January 1907!

The law of unintended consequences has made this station an important transfer station. It serves three "agglo" (agglomeratie is Dutch for metropolitan) lines and a tram line. So instead of people transferring at central many transfer here. The scheduling feature works brilliantly in letting the trains leave one by one from Yeringport Central so they do not clog up this line even though there is heavy traffic. No more bunchups like in many old Simutrans games! I just now renamed the station from its old name in case you cannot find it in the other screenshots:p

I also redid the neighbouring town of Arlswich to give it that more realistic look. It also has its own tram line now. The sportpark I made is
giving lots of pax, really a lot of them.

Close up of the sportspark

As I mentioned in the first post there is a second Central Station with 5 lines and the intercity connecting there. It is just 18 Kilometers to the south of Yeringport Central. It is called Roxingston Central. It is actually located pretty far from Roxingston itself and it symbolizes how a station grows from 2 tracks to many more. It becomes ugly. So that station is slated to being moved closer to Roxingston and upgraded. I am actually looking at other paksets for some more station options.

And here a network overview of the network so far. 1900++ towns still to connect :p

asaphxiix

very nice layout :)

growth is indeed quite independent from player transportation nowadays, and far too fast, even without quick growth, to my taste. But then again that could be realistic, for the 20th century at least.

jamespetts

There is a fix for town growth that will be included in the next major version.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

waerth

Unfortunately as a freelancer I never know when work comes and September and October are traditionally low season in my work here in Thailand. So I have (to) much time on my hands :(.

So here is another update.

I build one more commuter line which I will not go into to as it is basically demolishing towns build rails through them and plonk down stations and signals et voila.

I build a second intercity line (IC) from Yeringport Central going north to Scarhall which is the first real IC as it is much longer than the 18 km long first line which will be extended south at a later date. Also I redid Brackport and gave it parks. Brackport lies directly north of Yeringport in a series of towns that touch each other on a river.

Brackport

Brackport got redone. Thanks to its layout I did not have to demolish to many buildings. Only some major demolition at its southern end touching Yeringport. The commuterline has been there for a long time, but had to be redone so the new IC line to the north could be build there with a branch for the future going east. Over a length of 1.5 exp-kilometers the commuterline was moved to the right, resulting in the football field having to move and the station having to be rebuild at a new site with a new name as well. To the north of Brackport I build 3 buffer parks which I hope will stop Brackport from expanding north. To the east and west Brackport has huge areas it can expand to! North and south have other towns blocking it though. This goes for all the towns along this river.

The three parks. I hope in the future other solutions can be found without having to use waterways and stuff or the fences from other paks. Like zoning! Zones where towns are not allowed to build, or res/com/ind or attractions/industries zoning like sim city (I know I am a dreamer :p)

The IC line
A second IC line has been added to Yeringport Central going north to Scarhall. As I like to keep everything tight some special infrastructure
had to be build to let the line pass.

Yeringport Central, redone commuter line and south part of Brackport

Bypassing Burington

Redoing Wenlow Central. There are 2 commuter lines passing here. The commuter rails had to be moved over the river and the new IC station
took the space previously taken by the commuter line. And then passes over the commuter line to follow the river north to the endpoint.

And the endpoint Scarhall Central.

jamespetts