News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

[11.5] Can't use the way removal tool if there is a one-way signal on the path

Started by Guillaume_, August 15, 2013, 03:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillaume_

Hi,

The way removal tool doesn't work if there is a one-way signal on the path to be removed, and you click first on some point after the signal and then on some point before the signal. It says "Ways not connected" which would be true if we were travelling by train, but shouldn't matter if we are travelling by bulldozer. Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/kZt4T

Carl

I think this is probably intended behaviour -- at least, it has been part of Experimental for as long as I can remember. It does prevent too much accidental removal of ways, if one clicks on a parallel way by accident. This is made more pertinent by the fact that the 'undo' tool has not worked properly in Experimental for quite a while now (somehow that's a bug that I never get around to reporting).

kierongreen

Same happens in Standard too. Way removal goes between two points as though it was a vehicle using the track.

asaphxiix

and the same goes for electrification.

a good thing in my view, although perhaps not very intuitive for new players.

AP

Quote from: Guillaume_ on August 15, 2013, 11:52:16 PM
It can also cause accidental removal of ways. Consider this scenario: http://imgur.com/a/cJMIm
Indeed. That's the scenario i often find myself cursing. Tends to happen when there's a signal being hidden by a bridge or station building (or graphical glitch) and you end up removing miles of stuff needlessly.

kierongreen

Dragging the tool allows you to check what's actually going to be removed :)

jamespetts

Please note that I have moved this away from the Simutrans-Experimental development forum as this is not specific to Simutrans-Experimental, nor is it a bug.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ters

Could it help if the tool just refuses to work if the path found is twice the Manhattan distance? It has the risk of more unintuitiveness.

jamespetts

Isn't it better just to encourage players to use the click and drag versions of way removal tools now, which are inherently easier to use and understand in the first place?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Guillaume_

Quote from: kierongreen on August 16, 2013, 05:57:52 PM
Dragging the tool allows you to check what's actually going to be removed :)

I did not know that, that would indeed be useful to give some indication that you can do this. Another thing I discovered while preparing these screenshots is that you can drag the raise/lower land tool to create a large flat surface. It doesn't say anywhere that you can do this.

And in any case, the error message "Ways not connected" should be changed. Obviously, the ways are connected.

An_dz

Problem here is that the removal tool uses the same route finding from vehicles. So if you have toggled step 3 with 2 in your example (http://imgur.com/a/cJMIm) you would have finished with the intended behaviour.

The only scenario where this may be good is when you want to remove only the track going to some point but not coming from it. But it still may bring the unintended behaviour.