News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Installing Simutrans on mac

Started by Ben da man, July 08, 2011, 06:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben da man

Hi guys, this is my first post on the forums.

I have been playing Simutrans for a while now and I love the game but have recently switched to a mac computer and have been trying to install it on my mac laptop so i can continue playing. I have read the install and configure information on the simutrans wiki but I cannot seem to follow the instructions properly. Could someone please explain in plain English how to install it properly? It would be a great help

transporter

Try downloading it, unzip on the desktop, and try running the exec. file. Are there any errors that pop up on the Terminal window?

alexbaettig

As far as I know you'll first have to install SDL but I have not installed it lately...

transporter

Yes, that too. There's a link in another thread somewhere.

Ben da man

Yea ive tried all that and read the other posts but I can't get it to work. There is always some error. Is their someone who has installed it correctly?

alexbaettig

Yes...me but it's long (some years) ago... And at that time there was an other system (Panther!!) How ever it still works now with an other system.
I put the folder called "SDL.framework" into the folder "Frameworks" at "Library". You can save the actual "simtrans" folder where you like... It should work.

Ben da man

I looked for the frameworks folder and couldn't find one so I made one is this ok?

alexbaettig

I'm not sure wether that will work... I think not. Did you look via the HD. This is important... it should be somewhere there. But I'm not sure if there still is one in leopard / snowleopard. Ah and you won't find it via spotlight...

Ben da man

Thanks a lot for all the help guys I finally got it to work!

For all the other guys like me trying to figure out how to do it heres how:
1. Download the latest SDL framework (don't ask me what it is) by following the link on this page: http://en.wiki.simutrans.com/index.php/Install_and_configure. This page also has good instructions
2. Unpack the .dmg image and put the SDL.framework file in the folder user/Library/Frameworks (if there is no Frameworks folder make one it works) Don't worry about the other stuff in the SDL file, trash it.
3. From the download page: http://www.simutrans.com/download.htm, download Mac OSX Intel (with SDL included) from the left by double clicking on it and any pakset on the right (but pak64 and 128 are recomended for gameplay)
4. Once you have downloaded the simutrans file put it somewhere nice, put the pak file straight in it and your done
5. Click on the Unix file and start playing!

alexbaettig

Good summary!! That's excellent and could be used on the simutrans site(s). Sorry for being not all to helpful.

An_dz

I'll add this info on new wiki. Thanks for sharing Ben da man.

Ben da man

Wow thanks I didnt know that my info was that useful

julesisbest8

Iv'e got the executable and all that other stuff but if i open terminal it says /Users/julestaverne/simutrans/simutrans ; exit;
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL
  Referenced from: /Users/julestaverne/simutrans/simutrans
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
logout
[finished]
can someone help me wit :-X)

transporter

Have you downloaded SDL? If so, put it in the Frameworks folder in your Library

Combuijs

Yep, that was the problem. Simutrans is working now on his computer!
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Igor

HELP!

Tried to copy the SDL.framework into Library/Frameworks but I just wont go there :(

An_dz

http://simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=en_Installation#Mac_users_info

You must do in your user folder. If you're not the admin you can't modify the system Libraries.