News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Sweet Colony & Surrounding

Started by dwpvdk, August 15, 2013, 04:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwpvdk

I have not played Simutrans for very long (in fact, I just joined the forum) and I wanted to post a few things from my most recently completed map (in pak96 comic) to get some feedback. I have no real story about the map, but if you want to ask about something, I can probably give some background on it (why it is the way it is etc.). Since this topic is about a city only, I will not be showing a map of the entire land. To jump right in:

This is the main station with freight and passenger service for road and rail, Sweet Colony West Stop.
Here, route R2 ends and a driver can choose to go two directions on M5.

This is a view of the city (the best way I could fit it in a rectangular picture).

This is a rudimentary map of the districts within Sweet Colony & Surrounding

This is a view of the downtown district.
Elevated M5 is in the upper-left.

This is a view of the North-town terminal (and parts of North-town district).
The Downtown Road used by frequently is in the center.

This is a view of Castle in Air / Cliffboro district.
M6 A. Brose Expressway is in the center. (I noticed that A. Brose made alot of the parts of the pak96)
M7 is shown in the lower left.

This is a view of the Downtown Road near North-town and Altaville districts.
I tried to make this section look nice with the streetlamps.

This is a view of the Altaville Terminal on the M5.

This is a view of the R2 (the center) and M7 (the upper part).
R2 became very jammed because it took all traffic going into the city, so M7 was made to reroute some of the traffic heading to North-town, Altaville, Cliffboro, etc...

This is a view of the Northern Part of M6, the Castle In Air Terminal, and the Western end of the Downtown Road.

This is the central part of Castle In Air / Cliffboro.
M6 is at the bottom.

This is the newest development: Oakland & Oakland North.
The interchange is between R2 and M7.
R2 heads east towards Downtown. M7 heads NE to M6 and M5.
In the lower-right, we have R3, which goes south to a Steel Plant.

Feedback and tips would really be helpful.
Check it out: http://dwpco.weebly.com

kierongreen

Looks very nice! Looks like you are very much focused on road transport - that's not a problem but if you want to try using trains more they generally have a higher capacity and are less liable to traffic jams forming.

sdog

Welcome to the forum dwpvdk and thanks for sharing this overview of your map with us.

dwpvdk

kierongreen, you are definitely right about the road transport. I did have intercity trains running from the city and goods trains for long distances. I have found it hard to do train transport. In many examples I see people with massive amounts of trains in one small section. it seems to be hard to make money this way for me. I also like naming the roads and giving improvvements to them.

kierongreen

Everyone has their own way of playing - one of the good things about simutrans is that it does give you some freedom to play the game you want to :)

As you've discovered - roads cannot handle large amounts of traffic, but at the same time railways will lose money unless they are fairly busy. Your strategy of having buses running on roads within a city linking to intercity railways is good. If the buses get overcrowded them setting up a few tram or railway routes within the city can help. Stick to the core routes still though - with buses linking into these. Underground railways can also be helpful in connecting up a city but are expensive - limit there use to really busy sections!

dwpvdk

My strategy was when the bus routes became overcrowded was to use the elevated highways to create Rapid Bus Routes from the main station to different points in the city (the districts). The first of these was the M5 that looped around Altaville / Downtown / Dublak. I immediately ran a route around this and the use of such elevated ways increased with freight traffic that stopped going on the city roads and used these new routes. The M7 was constructed for this purpose (and for Busses to Oakland). The traffic on R2 was absolutely terrible especially as the city grew all around it. The first pic which shows the station (and a double-carriageway elevated section of R2) illustrates this fact. There are a total of 3 vehicles on this section. However if you look under the elevated way, all the route is clogged up waiting to drop off/ pick up passengers/ freight at the station.

kierongreen

Ah in that case you might want to investigate building subways.

dwpvdk

In reply to your comment about how railways are less congested (no hard feelings)... :)

Looks like my problem is "how to use signals".

kierongreen

Oh railways can be congested for sure (I've had 20 or more trains queued up when there are signalling issues on maps) but for transporting a given number of passengers or amount of goods they will be far less congested :)