News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Map sizes for experimentals.

Started by Moe Ron, August 30, 2013, 03:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moe Ron

I can't seem to expand or create maps past 512x512, does 128brit's experimental have a set limit, or is there some other issue?

kierongreen

If the same as standard then the limit is 4096x4096 for square maps (maps can be longer than this if they are narrower).

Carl

I remembered a thread some time ago where someone claimed that the map size limit was 2^25 (i.e. 33.5m tiles, and ~5792*5792) rather than 2^24 (4096*4096) as sometimes mentioned. But I can't find the thread.

Edit: found it, and it was kieron :)

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=10187.msg99682#msg99682

kierongreen

Nothing like contradicting myself is there... :p anyway you should certainly be able to run larger than 512x512 unless your computer is over 10 years old. Even then simutrans won't stop you speed will just be very slow.

ӔO

make sure you haven't combined standard and experimental into the same folder.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

What happens when you try to create larger maps?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Moe Ron

Quote from: jamespetts on August 31, 2013, 01:48:39 AM
What happens when you try to create larger maps?

Simutrans would usually stop responding.

Ters

Quote from: Mister E on September 01, 2013, 08:08:18 AM
Simutrans would usually stop responding.

For how long? It does take some time creating a map, and the bigger the map, the longer it takes.

kierongreen

Stops responding during map creation? If you have cities, roads connecting cities, factories, attractions and rivers all being generated on map load then be prepared for it to take a little while to generate a map - particularly if you have set roughness to a high value. A while can be 10 minutes or more. For maximum size maps I'd wait at least an hour...

Moe Ron

Quote from: kierongreen on September 01, 2013, 08:30:42 AM
Stops responding during map creation? If you have cities, roads connecting cities, factories, attractions and rivers all being generated on map load then be prepared for it to take a little while to generate a map - particularly if you have set roughness to a high value. A while can be 10 minutes or more. For maximum size maps I'd wait at least an hour...
Quote from: Ters on September 01, 2013, 08:28:38 AM
For how long? It does take some time creating a map, and the bigger the map, the longer it takes.

I usually give it around 20-30 minutes max, then restart the operation in a different window with minor changes.

jamespetts

What are your computer specifications, and what are all your map creation settings?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

waerth

Max size map is about 50 minutes on my computer. With 2000 towns. Max nr of rivers with max length. But it is worth the wait!

jamespetts

50 minutes to generate, or 50 minutes to cross from one side to the other by (non-supersonic) aircraft?

waerth

jamespetts

waerth

If you switch of trees it will be a lot shorter. The trees seem to take the longest.
And once it is generated it loads quite fast from a save.

I currently have 4 huge generated maps as "blank" saves (nothing build on them networkwise). If you are interested I can upload them all but it would take me about 2 hours. Your other save is coming btw still 30 more minutes :(

jamespetts

I shall look forward!

This suggests that there is some work to be done somewhere in optimising trees. I think that Standard developers have discussed it in the past, but nothing came of it.

kierongreen

Trees aren't the main problem. Although they do hugely increase memory consumption (on my computer maps of 16.7M tiles will generate without trees, but with them simutrans just crashes....).

River, industry, towns and road generation all slow map generation down significantly.