News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Minimap moved to top of window

Started by An_dz, September 05, 2013, 07:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An_dz

Here's a patch to move the minimap in the minimap window to the top, buttons are below and they should open their info without moving or enlarging the elements at all. The patch needs optimisation, I'm calling some functions twice to keep sizes and positions synchronized, very hackish.

Here's a gif showing what it is doing:

Sarlock

Very nice... it has always bothered me to have the map move up and down with menu selections at the top.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

prissi

Since this is a taste issue, are there any more votes up or down?

Yona-TYT

Quote from: prissi on September 07, 2013, 09:43:34 PM
Since this is a taste issue, are there any more votes up or down?
and why not let the creator of pakset what decide this?

Ters

I like that as little as possible jump around, and I don't see anything reasons why it is more favorable to have things above the maps versus below it.
Quote from: Yona-TYT on September 07, 2013, 10:51:44 PM
and why not let the creator of pakset what desida?
This is outside the scope of pak sets. It is rather something for skins/themes to decide, though I don't have the impression the new theme system will support such massive flexibility.

ӔO

I like it.

It is not like the simutrans GUI has any bias to where the menu buttons are located, so why not have the map buttons at the bottom?
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Max-Max

Quote from: Ters on September 07, 2013, 10:58:06 PM
I like that as little as possible jump around, and I don't see anything reasons why it is more favorable to have things above the maps versus below it.This is outside the scope of pak sets. It is rather something for skins/themes to decide, though I don't have the impression the new theme system will support such massive flexibility.
We can have a look at this further down the road. As long things are in containers they can be moved around to some extends. The new GUI structure will let GUI controls relate to each other. If all the map buttons and info is within a container it is merely only a question of drawing the button/info container or the map container at the top, as simple as that...
- My code doesn't have bugs. It develops random features...

prissi

Different dialogues in different pak sets is certainly a way to kill any useful documentation or the ingame help.

"In the map window, you will find so buttons, maybe, often on the top, or bottom ... "

Apart from fixing this in all translations, and helping user but forgot one has a different setting. As translators and writer of documentation are scare resources, I would like to keep all dialogues as similar as possible along all pak sets.

In this case the buttons at the bottom seems to have more fans.

VS

I agree with prissi that skinning the UI should not change relative position of elements.

I also "vote" for moving the buttons to bottom...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Carl

I don't have a strong opinion here. But playing devil's advocate, here's one potential reason *not* to move the buttons. At the moment when one resizes this window, you're directly resizing the map -- since the map lines up with the bottom right drag button. But if you move the buttons there, it gets slightly more difficult to resize the map.

Ters

Quote from: Carl on September 09, 2013, 09:27:20 AM
I don't have a strong opinion here. But playing devil's advocate, here's one potential reason *not* to move the buttons. At the moment when one resizes this window, you're directly resizing the map -- since the map lines up with the bottom right drag button. But if you move the buttons there, it gets slightly more difficult to resize the map.

I'd expect the map to change size, not the button area (except width). The view of the world isn't at the bottom of the Simutrans window either, yet that's what you resize when resizing the Simutrans window, not the status bar.

isidoro

Joining Carl in the role of devil's advocate: I see a potential problem with moving the buttons down.  If the dimensions of the screen are small, it is easier that the buttons fall outside it and be unreachable.

It is not a very strong argument, though, since other dialogs have a similar problem.  The dialog of depots couldn't be used at 1024x600 in the last game I played...

An_dz

Quote from: Ters on September 09, 2013, 04:20:26 PM
I'd expect the map to change size, not the button area (except width).
The window only resize when you click on the buttons to fit them bellow, if you resize using the resizer the map will resize.

Quote from: isidoro on September 10, 2013, 12:26:55 AM
If the dimensions of the screen are small, it is easier that the buttons fall outside it and be unreachable.
That's why I'm thinking in make the dialogs fit the window and then add scroll bars, this would fix multiple dialogs.

Quote from: isidoro on September 10, 2013, 12:26:55 AM
The dialog of depots couldn't be used at 1024x600 in the last game I played...
If you remember when I made some changes in the UI I made the depot work on an iPhone screen, but you complained about it being too high. I also made the vehicle dialog smaller too.

isidoro

Quote from: An_dz on September 12, 2013, 12:14:30 PM
If you remember when I made some changes in the UI I made the depot work on an iPhone screen, but you complained about it being too high. I also made the vehicle dialog smaller too.

English as a language has a weak point in that "you".  It can be "me" or "everyone" (impersonal).  If you mean the former, frankly I can't remember me complaining about that...

An_dz

You're right, my bad. First you was you isidoro, the later was everyone.

isidoro

In fact, I thought there were two options, but there were four...  :D   I didn't realize the correct one...

IgorEliezer

Quote from: An_dz on September 17, 2013, 02:27:58 PM
You're right, my bad. First you was you isidoro, the later was everyone.
Portuguese language has pronominal-verb and hidden subject (and "you" has a distinctive plural form too)... but it seems we Brazilians don't bother using either, so we end up using "you" for everything, everybody and every time. :P

EDIT: for the 2nd "you", I'd use "they" to express impersonality.