News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

"Maximum Load" option

Started by AP, January 16, 2009, 11:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Hi everyone, finally got back to Simutrans after the board moved and a busy last semester.

I've been pondering a couple of things about the game. Notably the passenger load issue with twin routes A-B-C-D-E and A-E. I've seen a few threads with possible solutions in the "extension requests" forum, so here's my idea. I think it's quite easy.

I think we ought to be able to force a train to leave a station with no cargo. I.e. the slow train A-E leaves A without passengers and so serves BCD properly. And thereby A-E passengers will only use the direct train. Or if expanded to a % option, perhaps only allow it to leave with 25% passengers.

Doesn't just benefit passengers. A slow "bulk goods" train could be forced to dump its cargo at a given interchange. Sometimes it's faster for freight to travel slow-fast-slow, than crawl across the map on one slow train which would nonetheless get it to its destination. By forcing the cargo to change trains, the slow train could better serve depots later on.

KrazyJay

I think all of what you wrote is possible, as long as you don't enter min. load % in the schedule for the slow and fast trains on station A. Also, the slow-fast-slow principle works already, as long as all stations have capacity for the right kind of goods.
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

Roads

Looks like I do not understand all the capability of the load options.  So far I have only been able to set minimum load amounts and time to wait.  Like AP, I've had situations where I would like to be able to load only part of the cargo that is available for shipment.

Toilet Maker

Quote from: KrazyJay on January 17, 2009, 09:14:23 AM
I think all of what you wrote is possible, as long as you don't enter min. load % in the schedule for the slow and fast trains on station A. Also, the slow-fast-slow principle works already, as long as all stations have capacity for the right kind of goods.

I posted a similiar thread but tell me if I'm wrong. If you have a full station and the vehicle passing that station has a minimum load of 0% for that station it will still pick up all the passengers/cargo that it can but will leave immediately after that not waiting to be full. Right? eg. I got tram on a loop line round a big city and after the first few loops it was constantly full or near max capacity even though I did not set any minimum load.

Currently learning 3ds Max 9. When I know more I'll start making models for the community!

prissi

Simutrans is not like OpenTTD. THe cargo goes your way, whenever you offer a route for it. That is part of the challenge and thus very unlikely to be changed. And the A-B-C-D-E train will only load people for E if capacity is left. THus normally everybody will go A-E. THe simupoeple do not trust your service and rather go with the direct connection.

(Albeit implemting a preferance to minize intermediate stops is still under consideration.)

vilvoh

@Toiler Maker:

Just by curiosity, Why would you like to have an empty tram roaming arround? I mean, if you don't want it to load something at any stop, just do not include that stop in tram's route. Obviously, tram's movement is restricted to the places where there's tram track, but if the tram has to pass through that stop and it's not in its route list, it won't load anything.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...