News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

I've been a Hong Konger all this time and I didn't know it!

Started by IgorEliezer, October 06, 2013, 10:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IgorEliezer

Thanks CNN for informing me the truth!

http://imgur.com/gallery/tn5zKKP

Ters

Seems like the theory of continental drift overestimated the scale on which it operates and underestimated the speed of change.

ӔO

That's just a typo...
It's supposed to read "KING KONG", which is supposed to be just west of Sumatra...
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ters

Quote from: ӔO on October 06, 2013, 02:54:01 PM
That's just a typo...
It's supposed to read "KING KONG", which is supposed to be just west of Sumatra...

Didn't they ship him to New York? Maybe the ship couldn't use the Panama canal and had to go into port to refuel or something on the long journey through the South Atlantic.

LNBC

What a disappointment.
As a REAL HONG KONGER: our location is somewhere in 22°9' - 22°33' North, 113°50' - 114°26' East
How dare CNN put my origin city somewhere in Southern Hemisphere?!
[It is absolutely different - the Trade-mark Typhoon (Tropical Cyclone) logo of our Observatory:
it's really showing a North Hemisphere TC. (For the South, it's a mirror image - due to the movement of Earth itself.)
If it did - we might never suffer that Typhoons' destructions, or might never enjoy that extra holiday as typhoons really hits.
(Those "monsters" should go to California coastline instead. Hong Kong could be somewhere like Miami......)]

Did the news reports' editor really score very bad during his Geography SAT?!
It is an unacceptable mistake - no matter in Hong Kong or in Rio de Janerio (that's the real thing in that point of the Map shown).
I am so dispaired. CNN is no longer that News Channel when I were a Geography student (in 1990s).....

PS "Drumstick-like" S. America: Surly you cannot be wrong to point where's Rio or Brazilia.

ӔO

Quote from: Ters on October 06, 2013, 03:09:05 PM
Didn't they ship him to New York? Maybe the ship couldn't use the Panama canal and had to go into port to refuel or something on the long journey through the South Atlantic.

No, that's Donkey Kong you are talking about.

Colour safe chart:

LNBC

Maybe "King-kong" could swim on its own.
Who's knows? Its powerfulness could that long detour easy...

PS I went mad - even I could realize that 'might be' an April Fool...

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

I think in 2009 I still belonged to east germany. Whoever does the maps for CNN: he does not know how to use google for sure.

isidoro

@IgorEliezer: Hmmm! I already knew you were a Hong Konger time ago...  Just look at the eyes of your avatar...  CNN has simply revealed you the hidden truth... :D

Ters

Quote from: prissi on October 06, 2013, 09:02:25 PM
I think in 2009 I still belonged to east germany. Whoever does the maps for CNN: he does not know how to use google for sure.

Hopefully, even my old primary school had replaced its maps by then, although they were in use until a few years after the first fully post Cold War children started in first grade. It felt like a bit a archeology to pull them down during recesses, or open some of our books. Maybe the CNN map maker had bought a fine and expensive leatherbound atlas in 1990 that he or she was loath to throw away so soon.

Markohs

Aquin

Now that picture has some japanese writing in the background ;-)

ӔO

Now I finally know where those power rangers female villains get their costumes from.

Colour safe chart:

Markohs

Brazilian Hong Kong is a great city to live, they also made street fighting championships this year:

IgorEliezer

Le Monde makes fun of CNN.

When CNN placed Hong Kong in São Paulo

The CNN cartographer strikes again. To illustrate a story about an attack of giant hornets responsible for 42 deaths in China, he did not hesitate to move mountains and push continents.

http://bigbrowser.blog.lemonde.fr/2013/10/08/geographie-quand-cnn-place-hongkong-a-sao-paulo/ (in French)

EDIT:

Wheeeee...... France took over Poland.

Ters

Quote from: IgorEliezer on October 08, 2013, 07:47:33 PM
Wheeeee...... France took over Poland.

That's what they get for only using the last two digits of the year. They mixed up the maps for 1812 and 2012.

VS

This is getting interesting. I always wondered how Chopin fled from Poland to France, and here comes the answer :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

About the 2006 weather map of europe
http://www.flickr.com/photos/superfrunny/2080156473/
But Cheq (or how it is spelt in english) and Slowakia are separate.

LNBC

Hello Prissi,
Do you mean Czech, right?
Modern Czechoslovakia ends on 31st December 1992,
and the next day - Czech and Slovakia become independent to each other.
So in 2006, Czech and Slovakia are seperated.
(Well, another old map user: after bombing the wrong places during Former-Yugoslavia Wars.
Thank you Ters: Hong Kongers won't pay attention too much on there. Unless you got a friend there.)
[But France stated on the map "at the Polish soil" - surly a mis-representation:
making me placed at Year 1812 - in front of my Pentium E6500 PC.
(I might never hear Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture... if it did.)]

If CNN really means "Restaurante Hong Kong" in São Paulo....
then I were in Tokyo - "Ginza" is really near to my place. [It's a real LRT stop's name.]
(Do everybody tell me where's Akibahara?!)<-Don't quote/answer that - I have to fly to reach there.
(You: what a cheating name is it. It's just local malls pretending a Japanese mall. Nothing funny.)
But Japanese will react what I was doing here before: I am not that developer's staff who name that place.
So, be cool: just like when you take our local minibus: Daimaru = Causeway Bay OR Yaohan = Tuen Mun Central.
[Really wonderful to have some places in Hong Kong named in Japanese after that occupation ends in 1945.
We wonder, really.]

PS Big Drumstick vs Chicken's foot - I mean the S. America vs Southern China.
(The Chicken Foot is stepping on Hainan Island - look alike a stone:
why don't you try this way out for locating the correct places?)

Ters

Quote from: LNBC on October 11, 2013, 02:15:42 PM
Modern Czechoslovakia ends on 31st December 1992,
and the next day - Czech and Slovakia become independent to each other.
So in 2006, Czech and Slovakia are seperated. Nothing wrong with that.

The point was, as I understood it, that at no point in time has the Czech Republic and Slovakia been separate and Germany divided. Germany became reunified first. So the map isn't simply outdated, it has never been correct.

prissi

While cleaning my hard disk, I found this gem:

IgorEliezer

More:

South Africa?

The capital of my state, São Paulo, moved 3,300 km away, middle of Amazonian Forest.

Ters

Quote from: prissi on November 10, 2013, 12:24:56 AM
While cleaning my hard disk, I found this gem:

Ironically, the only German speaking country that has not been in possesion of that area.

Quote from: IgorEliezer on November 10, 2013, 07:11:29 AM
The capital of my state, São Paulo, moved 3,300 km away, middle of Amazonian Forest.

Are you sure it's the same city? The name isn't that original, and it's a huge country.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Ters on November 10, 2013, 09:30:03 AMAre you sure it's the same city? The name isn't that original, and it's a huge country.
Probably they confused the São Paulo I'm talking about (wikipedia, wikimapia) with another "São Paulo" but it's called São Paulo de Olivença, located in the state of Amazonas (wikipedia, wikimapia).

But it's fine, it's easy to get confused. You can tell the resemblance between both.

Ters

From the screen shot, I can't tell which São Paulo the news was about, if any of them at all. The big distance from the marked São Paulo to the other two marked places seems a bit odd, though, except to the map maker apparently. Since it's NBC, the map maker shouldn't be able to use the excuse that distances in America are so mindboggling huge to European eyes.

greenling

Hello IgorEliezer
Here in Germany have we two big city they have nearly the same name everyone they not wake it can make a fault. :o
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

An_dz

You're probably talking about Frankfurt am Main and Frankfurt am Oder.

Quote from: Ters on November 10, 2013, 09:30:03 AM
Are you sure it's the same city? The name isn't that original, and it's a huge country.
Yeah, but they confused the capital of a state with 11 million inhabitants with a simple city with 28.000 habitants 3.000 km away, plus the point that "news should be reliable sources" and they might have contracted reporters in São Paulo.

Ters

Reliable? News? Can those words even be used in the same sentence?

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Ters on November 13, 2013, 05:48:48 AM
Reliable? News? Can those words even be used in the same sentence?
How dare you?! You must be a threat to free-press!

People who can are entitled to do whatever they want, including moving a 12-million-inhabitant city 3,000 km off the right place.