News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

SMSC October 2013: Mountains and Valleys

Started by An_dz, October 13, 2013, 05:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An_dz

By Fabio's popular demand, here's SMSC October with Mountains and Valleys topic.
As normal no restrictions, with/without cities, with/without tracks, we just want the best pics.

Rules
  • Only one picture per user
  • Picture max size: 800x600 px
  • Available picture formats: png or jpg
  • Topic: Mountains and Valleys
  • You may use any pakset you want, but only one
  • Zoom is allowed
  • Please indicate if it's from a real game or not
  • Please include a short description and mention the pak you've used
  • Please include a name for your image
  • You can upload the picture to an image hosting service like imgur, imageshack.us or photobucket and then post link to the image here.
  • The nomination period ends on October 24th. Then, we'll make a poll to decide the winner(s)
Prizes:
  • Compliments by the community
  • Become the cover picture of our Facebook page
  • Become the Simutrans homepage image

An_dz

Let me be the first submission:

Valley Cross
pak96.comic + waterfall addon
Not real game, my sandbox scenario
The rough terrain in this valley hill makes connections tough and the tracks and roads need to be build wherever they fit. And follow the river the melted ice from the mountains create is the easiest solution to find the best solutions to cross the mountains. Here near the waterfall was found the best spot to cross the mountains to the biggest city.

IgorEliezer

What is wrong here?

Quote from: An_dz on October 13, 2013, 05:29:03 PM
By Fabio's popular demand

We have 2 facts:

1) Fabio is popular.
2) Fabio is quite demanding.
Therefore, "Fabio's popular demand" is accurate. ;)

Sarlock

Oooo... this one is going to be fun.  Time to assemble something...
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

vorlon

I had a brilliant idea... Until I realized it's impossible due to elevated taxiways and runways not being supported. ::(  That is something this game sorely needs! I guess I must figure out something as spectacular but doable...

Markohs

HDomos

I am experimenting with the new double height pak128 and I really like it. As there aren't many pictures about it on the forum I decided to do one. Let this be a praise for those who are making it :):

Bridge with scenery
There are some huge mountains between the cities Tura and Eger. There was an ancient road through the mountains but it was not enough. As more and more industries opened the need for something else became more and more strong. It was really hard to build a railway there but there was no other option. Many people had worked to complete the project, several died due to the hard conditions. But the railway opened and soon became one of the most important ones in the country. Trains nowadays are carrying everything there from people to oil and both cities are enjoying the benefits of it. More and more people are going there just to watch the mountains, the valleys and the beautiful lakes from the trains.

Pak128 (newlandscape branch)
real game with some adjustments for the picture

An_dz

Quote from: Markohs on October 15, 2013, 06:00:50 PM
that image is pretty cool, An_dz!
Thanks, you should see the whole hill valley, or the whole region. It includes all my SMSC submissions.

Enkort

Hakone
Mountains, valley, river, road, bridge, station and signal stop on the mountain railway in Japan.

real game, pak128.japan

vorlon

Quote from: vorlonI had a brilliant idea... Until I realized it's impossible due to elevated taxiways and runways not being supported.
It turns out there isn't much you can't do with gimp! I hope it isn't against the rules to modify the screenshots a bit...

My submission is named after Santa Catarina airport, which is the main airport of the Portugese island of Madeira. In 2000, the main runway was extended over a river valley descending to the ocean on top of 180 concrete pillars. It won the 2004 Outstanding Structure Award (considered the Oscars of worldwide structural engineering), but is still considered one of the most dangerous airports in the world to land to.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. pak128 and not a real game
EDIT2: Changed the picture (has some vehicles now)

walsjona

To be fair that would be an awesome feature to have in the far future.

vorlon

Indeed. Besides the eyecandy it would make building large airports with multiple terminals as separate stations much more realistic. And while we're at it, why not also add road-runway level crossings, like the one at Gibraltar airport?

That certainly is a piece of interesting traffic planning...

Fabio

Also a runaway/taxiway coded with system_type=7 like tram tracks, letting a plane land on a straight highway ;)

kierongreen

The Arrochar Alps

Created for this months competition using pak128.Britain here is a scene from Scotland. In the centre of the image is Ben Reoch overlooking Loch Lomond. Below this Glen Douglas separates Beinn Bhreac and Beinn Dubh. The slopes of Ben Lomond are on the far right while towards the top of the picture are the lower reaches of Beinn Narnain. Loch Long can be seen on the far left of the picture. Following the shores of Loch Lomond is the A82 - the main road from Glasgow to Oban and Fort William. At the village of Tarbert the A83 splits off which passes through the village of Arrochar before heading up Glen Croe to the pass of Rest and Be Thankful. The West Highland Railway enters the left of the image winding high along the slopes above Loch Long, stopping at the station of Arrochar and Tarbert before continuing along Loch Lomond and then north toward Crianlarach.

On the West Highland Railway a northbound Class 37 loco hauled service to Oban waits in the passing place at the station for the newly introduced Class 156 DMU which is on it's way to Glasgow. Unusually (given that this is winter) there's also a steamer on Loch Lomond.

Sarlock

You guys keep raising the bar... I've had to make major modifications to my entry so far!  :)

Half height tiles on full display this month!

An_dz

Quote from: vorlon on October 17, 2013, 03:07:15 PM
I hope it isn't against the rules to modify the screenshots a bit...
No, because there's no rule for this, so you're safe for this month. But for next SMSC we should stick to things only possible with Simutrans. Not strictly, image manipulation is allowed. SMSC purpose is to show what Simutrans can do.

All my submissions are graphically manipulated, I take multiple screens to choose the best positions for the vehicles to be. Some times I change colors of things too. This image (Hi-Traffic Dock) have an impossible situation on the highway, the cars are too near from each other.

SilverHorse

Ski, coal and woods.

This little village in the valley has plenty of visitors during the winter, due to the ski station. So much that the authorities decided to build a tunnel to provide better access. Some industries are around as well, such as a coal mine and a forest plantation.

Created scenario from pak 128, with Spanish Addons:

- Land Rover Santana 109 Post car.
- Pegaso Monotral 6045 Intercity bus.
- Pegaso 1066 for wood (blue truck).
- Pegaso 1086 for wood (green and white truck).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Flemmbrav

a small valley in pak192.comic

no real game, pak 192 comic

Sarlock

In under the wire!  Got so busy with my other artwork that I almost forgot to finish my entry!  It's not as refined as I was planning but it will have to do for this month :)

Ocean Inlet
pak128, half-heights.

Section of my newly revised Vancouver height map, recreated/regenerated for half-heights (and used as a testing platform for half heights).  This is the hydro dam from Buntzen/McCombe Lake that runs down to the ocean in the Indian Arm, located just north of Vancouver, BC, Canada.  Note that I compressed the width of the Indian Arm for this map, the actual body of water is much wider than this.
Done at a 20m/tile scale.  Roads and railways added for effect, there is no actual railroad at this location.