News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

11.12 power substation funny bug

Started by whoami, October 26, 2013, 01:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoami

With ST-Exp 11.12 and Pak.Britain.Ex 0.9.0, I get the following behaviour (observed with the first powerstation that has been built in my small world in 1882; verified in 1950):
- substation at powerstation and powerlines can be built
- placement of a substation at any other industry is rejected
- but from then on, substations can be built everywhere, also at powerstations with an existing substation, but still not at a normal factory (which demands electricity, I checked brewery, slaughterhouse, colliery)

EDIT: correct irregular verb's use

jamespetts

Can you upload a saved game in which this can be reproduced?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

whoami

I could reproduce the problem with a newly generated savegame, so I think you can try the same to get the same.

Update: To be sure, I tried again, and now, with two generated maps, the bug did not occur. Sorry, it did when I tried first with a new map.
But this savegame still has the problem after reloading:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/PC184G2_ST-Exp_Pak128.Britain_040_SJ1882-03_ST-Exp_11.12_bankrott.sve
On testing again, the bug appears to be different:
- a substation can be built on any tile (first bug) (I only tested tiles near the powerlines and the industries near them.)
case a
- attaching a substation to an industry by building it on (199,107) works, as it should
   EDIT again: and now, this again has stopped working, no matter how often I reload or restart. Strange randomness happening.
case b
- trying to build one on (200,108) (to attach to two industries) is rejected (OK, is more like a missing feature, just the error message is too focused on the usual case); but from then on, building a substation adjacent to industries is prohibited (second bug)

The different symptoms that I described before, as well as the transfer of the program's confusion to a new map, have not been reproducable again.

jamespetts

Ahh, thank you for this clarification. This is not actually a bug. This behaviour comes from the city electrification feature in Simutrans-Experimental. A substation may be placed anywhere inside a city, and will, if connected to the grid, provide electricity for that whole city (the city council will see to the details of providing the individual buildings). This includes any industry that is within the city (which therefore cannot have its own private substation). Industries outside a city still have to be supplied individually, as before.

However, the fact that you have reported this as a bug points to the inadequacy of the error message given when placing a substation next to an industry in a town. I have amended it to,

"Only one substation may be placed next to an industry and that industry must not be in a town."

Thank you for the report!

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

whoami

So, the reason for the error message is that the powerstation in the same city already has a substation? EDIT: OK so far.  No, this should not be the reason, because the industries in question do not receive electricity, as there is absolutely no production boost by power supply.
Also: why is it then allowed to build numerous substations near each other, but away from buildings, but not at an industry building itself? This does not make sense.

jamespetts

Hmm, yes, I see the point. I have amended the code on the 11.x branch to allow city substations to be built next to industries in the city, and reverted the error message. Thank you for raising this issue.