News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Good paks are defined in a tab file instead in a pak

Started by prissi, October 30, 2013, 09:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

I propose to move the good definitions from pak files to an editable tab file.

The reason is that people want to modify prices and speed bonus etc. quite often. It would mean that the goods are saved with the game, which also could avoid crashes due to missing goods when loading a savegame.

Any objections?

kierongreen

prissi

The Theme does miss a word "Good pak" should be defined in tab files instead pak files. Those have three parameters, which could be parsed really quick.

And for networkgames, obviously these parameters need to be taken anyway from the savegame, once set. There are maximum 127 goods with 3 parameters and a name. This is rather not much extra info imho.

Ters

Quote from: prissi on October 30, 2013, 09:02:26 PM
It would mean that the goods are saved with the game, which also could avoid crashes due to missing goods when loading a savegame.

What if you have an existing save game, then install an add-on for its pak set with a new type of goods? Simutrans would have to merge these things every time, rather than rely on everything being in the save game. It could also need an ability to replace stored goods information in the same game with new data for the pak set, so that an existing game could take advantage of a rebalancing in a new version of the pak set.

prissi

That is true for several parameters already, like the city rules. My idea:

- Network save => only use data in savegame.
- Normal game => info in game override pakset

I think it is time for a flag in the simuconf.tab to allow to override all settings in a savegame by local setting whenever zou are loading a game.

greenling

Hello Prissi
It´s possible to make a preview how the good.tab inside show out and work?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!