News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Question about cargo and multi-stop itinaries

Started by Jando, December 19, 2013, 11:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jando

Hello, sorry to bother again.

I 've got a line (2 trains with a capacity of 176 tons each on it) running A-B-C-D-A, purpose is to distribute piece goods (fruit, hardware, flour, etc.) from a regional freight hub to towns in the region. Trains are empty on the return leg from D to A. Goods arrive at the freight hub by sea (clipper).

What I notice is that trains always try to carry cargo for the first stop B first, only when there's not enough cargo to fill the trains with cargo for B they will carry cargo for stop C, only after they've brought all the cargo available to stop C they will ever take cargo for stop D. That behaviour causes a very uneven distribution of goods in the region.

Intended or unintended behaviour? :)

jamespetts

This is intended, and I think is the same as in Standard. The solution is to ensure that your trains have enough capacity to take the flour to all destinations, I think, unless you can think of anything more sophisticated (that will work equally well for all types of goods as well as mail and passengers).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

Hmm, I have been considering this further. Experimental has a system for logging arrival times, and it seems sensible for goods/mail/passengers to be loaded on vehicles in the order that they arrived at a stop: I have now implemented this on the 11.x branch. I should be grateful for any feedback on this system.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Jando

Sounds great, James! Makes sense to me. Goods that arrive first get on the train first.

jamespetts