News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Overtaking settings too conservative?

Started by jamespetts, December 27, 2013, 12:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I am not quite sure whether this is the correct place to post this - my apologies if not. In this discussion relating to Experimental, the issue is raised relating to road vehicles being unable to overtake a succession of two slower road vehicles, although they can overtake a single one. I am not currently in a position to test that effectively as I am away from home, but this seems to accord with what I recall. The overtaking code in Experimental is largely the same as in Standard. Are the settings too conservative, I wonder? Overtaking here seems perhaps more difficult than necessary, although I appreciate that overtaking is not an easy topic.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

Not sure it's a question of being too conservative - the code checks to see whether there is a straight ahead with no junctions and whether vehicle can overtake before end of straight. This means there's situations where vehicles can't be overtaken but this is quite common in real life too.

ӔO

maybe allow double overtaking or periodically force slow vehicles to pull over?
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Hmm - or perhaps allow overtaking on corners?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ters

Quote from: jamespetts on December 27, 2013, 01:36:43 PM

I think that would look strange, especially in urban areas or in forests. Even if not strictly illegal in real life, it is discouraged.

Does overtaking in Simutrans even consider more than one vehicle?

Yona-TYT

Speaking of that
Would be nice if overtaking will work here... :thumbsup:

ӔO

Quote from: jamespetts on December 27, 2013, 01:36:43 PM

I think I've seen vehicles do that actually.
It takes a gentle curve and not a 90deg for that to happen, however.

Quote from: Yona-TYT on December 27, 2013, 04:12:34 PM
Speaking of that
Would be nice if overtaking will work here... :thumbsup:

It is possible, but the bus stop needs to be on a straight and not directly in front of an intersection.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Fabio

Intersections on the normal driving side (I.e. Right for right hand drive and left for left hand drive) could allow overtaking, especially if the spur has lower speed limit (in this case vehicles coming from the low speed spur should also yield, but this is another request).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk