News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Long block signals behave differently in Experimental?

Started by scamps, November 05, 2013, 01:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scamps

I tried the "put 3 stations between long signal loops" thing, which works in Standard. It did not work out in Experimental.

Attached two test saves - Standard (pak Britain) and Experimental (11.12).
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7xsv2xemfdc6jwc/ANDUQOXc-t

If long block signals sould behave differently in Experimental, where can I find correct description?

Thank you.

scamps

bump?

Edit: @whoami
OK, I followed the link you provided and thought that the mentioned bug was fixed prior to 11.12. Maybe I have misunderstood.

Editing post not to bump the thread again.

whoami

Hehe, I am going to bump you back.  ;)
Uhm, I mean: We have to wait for the next ST-exp version.

scamps

New behavior in 11.13: now even one train can not travel this line, "wating for clearance"

whoami

For this, there might be a simple explanation: sometimes (also in ST-standard), especially on loading a savegame, an invalid reservation remains on track tiles. Use 'b' to view and fix the reservations.

scamps

Then it means I use signas in some wrong way. After upgrading to 11.13 I made a new line, but it made no difference. Train stands at long block signal, does not reserve anything and waits for clearance.

I would appreciate if someone checked out the save and explained what is wrong with this cofiguration.

scamps

Useful info, Carl, but does not seem to be the case.

jamespetts

Carl - thank you for testing.

Scamps - if you are still having problems, can you upload a saved game in which you can reproduce something that is clearly incorrect, and describe the incorrect behaviour precisely? That would be very helpful.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

scamps

First post contains a link to two saves. One Standard game, one Experimental game. Same track confguration.  In Standard two trains can use the line, in Experimental 11.13 a single train can not use the line, "waiting for clearance" at long block signal.

And repeating the link   https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7xsv2xemfdc6jwc/ANDUQOXc-t

edit: failed to include screenshot directly in post, added under the same link.

whoami

I tested your savegames (I did not before). The funny thing is: the savegame from ST-std works fine in ST-Exp 11.13! signal-exp started to work on the left end (only) once I added signals on the bypass tracks and removed the "mirror" flag from the line schedule and the "reverse" flag from the trains. signal-std has a circular schedule, but changing it to a bi-directional schedule (still in ST-Exp) does not prevent it from working.
In signal-exp, I also extended the stations in a way that train length should not matter, but it did not help either. Forcing the trains to proceed or return to the previous stop does not prevent the problem from reappearing. No stale block reservations are visible.
The differences between the two savegames are schedules, train and station lengths, vehicle types, also slight differences in track layout. I still cannot exclude any of these as the reason for the misbehaviour.

jamespetts

Hmm - perhaps I have misunderstood the intention of long-block signals when applying changes to the routing and block reservation systems. Is the idea to allow one train to follow another into the same section, separated only by station stops rather than explicit signals?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

TurfIt

No, rather the opposite. Long block should see through stations so reversing trains don't deadlock.  Let's you implement a 'One Train Working' system on a single track branch with multiple stations.

jamespetts

Hmm - so how should this example behave, in that case?

jamespetts

I have just fixed a bug relating to long block signals that would in some cases cause convoys to become stuck behind a long block signal unnecessarily, which I hope will fix this issue.