News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

[r7003] One way runway sign

Started by Spacethingy, January 07, 2014, 10:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spacethingy

This isn't really game breaking, it's just an odd quirk that I wondered if anyone had noticed...

One way signs placed on a runway change a taking off plane's behaviour while/after becoming airborne.

Without sign: plane goes in a straight line for a few tiles after the runway tiles, then turns towards its destination.
With sign: plane turns immediately on flying over the runway's last tile.

I've attached a .sve if that helps: r7003 with pak64 v1383. The two planes have waypoints symmetrically in opposite directions (marked by a circle of railway track). The southern plane has a one way sign on its runway - notice the different route (as marked by the track lines). Delete the sign and the planes' routes will become symmetrical again.

It doesn't even look that odd, I just wondered why...  ;D
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

Ters

One-way signs on a runway doesn't really sound like something that should be allowed in the first place. Depending on how you look at it, runways in Simutrans both always one-directional (and that direction is fixed by the game) and mandatory two-directional (at the ends, where the plane turns after landing and before take-off). Perhaps they can be used as part of the taxiway network, but in such a way that there is no proper taxiway tile to put the one-way sign on?

Spacethingy

One way signs are very important to have on runways - the routing for planes on the ground is too simple, so they'll happily use a runway as a taxiway, even if a taxiway is available to take them to their destination. This unnecessarily blocks the runway for other traffic; the only solution is to force the plane off the runway with a sign on the runway. If the ability to place one way signs on runways is to be removed, there needs to be added some kind of logic that encourages planes to get off the runway as fast as possible, even if this involves using a longer route, as in real life.

EDIT: Just thought, this only really is an issue in airports that are rather squashed for space, e.g. the one below. There's no room to put signs on the taxiway, the only option to optimise runway usage is signs on the runway. Pink is the unsigned route, green is the ideal.

Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

Ters

I'm not sure the difference between pink and green make much difference for such a small airport. Then again, a few more stops and extension buildings, and perhaps. It still feels wrong, though.

prissi

Oneway signs on a runway are an error and should be forbidden. They will confuse the routing, which things the runway end after the oneway sign.

whoami

rev.7007: "FIX: No roadsigns on runways"