News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Simutrans has stopped working...

Started by ZBOX, January 17, 2014, 02:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZBOX

Not sure if this is a bug with simutrans or my laptop, simutrans has crashed three times saying simutans has stopped working...

I am running simutrans standerd with great britain pak128 installed, this latest crash i was scrolling around the map, this is the details of crash:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   simutrans.exe
  Application Version:   0.112.3.0
  Application Timestamp:   5199499c
  Fault Module Name:   ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version:   6.1.7601.18247
  Fault Module Timestamp:   521ea8e7
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   00038e19
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   2057
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Dwachs

Thanks for the report. Could be anything.

Does this happen reproducibly for some savegame?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

ZBOX

no problem, everytime there has been this crash, they have each happened in a new game usually after about 30minutes or so play.

i am running windows 7 64bits and have set simutrans to run as administrator and run in windows xp mode - would this help ?

cheers.

Dwachs

Quote from: ZBOX on January 17, 2014, 04:42:00 PM
i am running windows 7 64bits and have set simutrans to run as administrator and run in windows xp mode - would this help ?
I doubt it, but I do not have any experience with windows 7.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

ӔO

Win7 should not require any compatibility mode settings.
Except maybe disable high DPI mode if you are using 150% scaling.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

ZBOX

Quote from: ӔO on January 17, 2014, 05:48:59 PM
Win7 should not require any compatibility mode settings.
Except maybe disable high DPI mode if you are using 150% scaling.

ok, i have no idea what high DPI mode is or what scaling im using, could you please explain them and would they offer better performance for simutrans ?

cheers.

ӔO

Under Display properties, you can set text to be larger than 100%, also known as Display scaling. Windows gives you 125% and 150% as standard options, but this can also be set by the user.
If display scaling is enabled, windows will automatically attempt to increase text and images to that zoom level.

However, simutrans does not behave correctly with this setting enabled, so in compatibility mode, you need to 'disable display scaling on high DPI settings'.

This setting is not necessary if display scaling is set to the default 100%.

Colour safe chart:

ZBOX

Thanks for the advice, i have checked, and it is on default (100%).

Just had another simutrans has stopped working, i have tried to google an answer and to no avail, its a shame, but i think im going to leave simutrans for a while and return to opentdd, untill i can find a solution.

Cheers.

Ters

Are you playing the version of Simutrans with or without SDL? Could you try the other and see if that crashes as well?

ZBOX

@Ters

I have no idea which version im using, i just downloaded it from the main page, you want me to download another version ?

**edit - just had a look i downloaded the windows installer version (latest build) - I try the SDL version now - is that correct?**

Yona-TYT

Not sure but I think this using simutrans 112.3

Sometimes  showed  an error when passing some time playing

I guess since was fixed ¿?

Anyways you can try to see
pak128 2.3.0
svegame...https://www.facebook.com/download/681469958533569/yona-tyt.sve

ZBOX

@Yona-TYT

Thank you, will give that a try.

ZBOX

Quote from: Ters on January 17, 2014, 07:39:45 PM
Are you playing the version of Simutrans with or without SDL? Could you try the other and see if that crashes as well?

I downloaded the SDL version last night, and made a map had a few hours playtime and it did not crash, hopefully its fixed for me now.

Thanks again for advice.

Ters

Nice to know that you don't appear to have problems any more, but I'm still worried as to what was the cause of the problem. I fear the problem is still there, but I'm at a loss as to how to figure out what it was/is. If you are able dig out windows crash dumps from your local application data directory (appdata is a hidden directory in the user directory), it might help, but it might also not.

ZBOX

I located the appdata, but cannot find anything to do with windows crash dumps or simutrans

to access the appdata, i had to type  %appdata% into to the run bar (windows 7) and it will load up a roaming folder - is this correct ?

Ters

Quote from: ZBOX on January 18, 2014, 02:24:58 PM
to access the appdata, i had to type  %appdata% into to the run bar (windows 7) and it will load up a roaming folder - is this correct ?

No, it's the local app data, which I believe is usually next to the roaming app data.

ZBOX

Quote from: Ters on January 18, 2014, 05:15:35 PM
No, it's the local app data, which I believe is usually next to the roaming app data.

Had a look again, and still cannot locate the folder you said, all i can find is the roaming folder.

Ters

Try %LOCALAPPDATA%. I have a directory in there called crashdumps, but I do not know if windows creates dumps by default or not.

ӔO

It should be C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\CrashDumps
and in there, there should be simutrans.exe.#####.dmp files.

Colour safe chart:

ZBOX

Tried what both of you said an no luck,   %LOCALAPPDATA%. - nothing appears

and when i try this C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\CrashDumps (with my user name) i get this message:

Windos can't find C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\CrashDumps - check the spelling and try again.

Ters

Quote from: ZBOX on January 19, 2014, 12:36:02 PM
and when i try this C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\CrashDumps (with my user name) i get this message:

Windos can't find C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\CrashDumps - check the spelling and try again.

You're supposed to replace "user name" with your user name.

Quote from: ZBOX on January 19, 2014, 12:36:02 PM
%LOCALAPPDATA%. - nothing appears

I must say I'm surprised %LOCALAPPDATA% doesn't fail, but doesn't show anything either. It is an essential directory, so should exist and contain all kinds of stuff.

I've attached a small program that should be able to list all simutrans crash dumps and let you save one of them someplace more accessible. If that doesn't find anything, I'm at a loss.

ZBOX

Quote from: Ters on January 19, 2014, 12:52:45 PM
You're supposed to replace "user name" with your user name.

I did replace "user name"  with my user name already and it said Windos can't find C:\Users\ccuk\AppData\Local\CrashDumps - check the spelling and try again. (sorry should of put my user name in the other post)

I must say I'm surprised %LOCALAPPDATA% doesn't fail, but doesn't show anything either. It is an essential directory, so should exist and contain all kinds of stuff.

I've attached a small program that should be able to list all simutrans crash dumps and let you save one of them someplace more accessible. If that doesn't find anything, I'm at a loss.

Ok no problem i will try that file you said, I only got this laptop a couple of months ago, and it was bought pre-owned, is it possible that the previous owner could have deleted stuff etc ?

**Edit right just tried %LOCALAPPDATA% again and  a local app folder is there and also a locallow folder, but there is not crash dump folder in either.

I download your attached file " simutrans crash dump utility " i load that up, white box appears, with "Get" action, i click on that and nothing  ?

Ters

Quote from: ZBOX on January 19, 2014, 01:32:58 PM
is it possible that the previous owner could have deleted stuff etc ?

Sure, but then stuff wouldn't work, or if they did, they'd fill up the directory again.

ZBOX

right just tried %LOCALAPPDATA% again and  a local app folder is there and also a locallow folder, but there is not crash dump folder in either.

I download your attached file " simutrans crash dump utility " i load that up, white box appears, with "Get" action, i click on that and nothing  ?

Also have tried to google this issue, evan tried this C:\Windows\Minidump\Minidump.dmp. and no luck. im not very computer knowledgeable, but it seems i dont not have this crash dump folder, evan you file you give me cannot locate any mini dump files. 

Does disk clean up have anything to do with it ? i use these feature every time before i log off the pc ?

Ters

Crash dump files is something disk clean up may delete. Whether it does so depends on whether you have to it (not) to.

prissi

The easier way is probably to send you an exe with debug symbols ...

Ters

We still need to get a stack trace back, which is what I want the crash dump for, although a stack trace from a debug build would be much easier to analyze once we have it.

ZBOX

I will still try and get what you need, i just dont know how to, If you can tell me another solution to get this crash dump, let me know, and i will do my best to get you the information you need.

Ters

If you've run disk cleanup, the way to get a crash dump should be simply to crash Simutrans again, but copy out the crash dump before disk clean up gets to it.

ZBOX

Ters

I've found out the crash dump generation is not on by default, although I don't remember turning it on. It requires messing with the registry. Maybe something I've installed turned it on. Or I've just forgotten.