News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Impossible to fill lowered terrain with water

Started by Ters, January 26, 2014, 10:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ters

Sometimes you get a body of water, as defined by the global water level, that is separated by a small wall of land from another larger body of water. Sometimes, you want to connect these bodies of water, and rather than build a canal up and over this wall of land, you may decide to simply dig through this thin wall of land. Not only might it be cheaper in the long run, but also seems more realistic.

The problem is that sometimes water does not flow into the cutting I've made. Instead, I end up with a dry pit below water level. Now this is fair enough, perhaps even realistic, but I am unable to fill this pit with water afterwards. Or to be more precise, I can fill it with water at a level lower than the global water level, but not up to the global water level. I just get a message saying that changing water is not possible.

kierongreen

Are both bodies of water at sea level? If so this should work - I've tested it and it does. If the bodies of water are at different levels then they will need to be connected by a river or canal. I set a rule that a water tile cannot be present at the top of any slope as I thought graphically this would lead to anomalies.

Ters

Yes, both original bodies of water are at sea level. Experimenting some more, found that if I use the water level tool on the land when it is at sea level, it works. If you've managed to lower the land below sea level, the raise water level tool won't work. I guess my intuition was to dig below the water level to fill it with water, not to increase the water level at a piece of land at sea level so that it was flooded with water at sea level.

Still, is there any reason why raising the water level of a sea below sea level so that it reaches sea level should not be allowed?

kierongreen

It seemed to work for me both ways you described... If you press control-click when raising does that work?

Ters

Strange. I tried to reproduce, and I couldn't. I wonder if there might have been some double-height slopes involved. Although I tried to rule out that possibility, I might have missed one. I find that it has become much more difficult to see slopes in pak64 since double height was introduced.