News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

[11.17] Bug? Stop coverage inconsistent freight vs passenger vs graphic overlay

Started by AP, January 26, 2014, 04:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

In the server game, I happily built stops which the graphics show as giving coverage to industries, only to discover the routes were not functioning. It turns out that the graphic displays the coverage as though a freight stop were a passenger stop. Is this intended?

jamespetts

The trouble is that a stop can deal with both freight and passengers, and the same stop would then have different radii for each. It would be good one day to have a whole user interface to show the separate radii for each, but that would take considerable extra coding work. (Originally, it was intended that freight would have a radius of 1, negating the need for a coverage display, but this was found to be impractical).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Sarlock

Maybe a toggle?  V once is passenger/mail radii, V again is freight, V again turns it off?
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

jamespetts

Ahh, not a bad idea. Shall consider that. But the question would remain, I suppose, as to how players will know which radius is which.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

prissi

You can just add for a second marker and show both. Or overlay tiles with shading and use the marker too.

jamespetts

Ahh, thank you for the suggestion. I have never really looked into the graphics code; how would one code such a double overlay?

AP

Quote from: jamespetts on January 26, 2014, 11:21:15 PM
Because people can walk whereas tonnes of coal cannot.

Like the logic :-)

But in that case why is the freight radius not 1?

jamespetts

It was originally 1; but this proved to be impractical where a stop and an industry were separated by height, as was often the case with canals.

AP

But that's easily fixed - you build a warehouse on the diagonal tile.

jamespetts

AP

Just to confirm, which radius does mail conform to - passenger or freight? And does mail "walk" between stops like passengers do?

ӔO

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

ӔO

I think AP is wondering if the mail will walk to another station within catchment range, like what pax do.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

AP

So how do we pass mail between players, between adjacent stops? Are shared/public stations the only way?

jamespetts

Public stations are not necessary: just grant access rights to the player with whom you want to share and agree particular stops at which the mail is transferred (or other such arrangements, such as through-running on each other's lines).