News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

[11.17] Players do not have universal access to roads/elevated/bridges

Started by ӔO, January 29, 2014, 02:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

On the server game, it is actually pointless to replace public roads with your own, as no other player will be able to use them unless access permission is explicitly given.

I thought it was limited to bridges and elevated roads, but it turns out even regular roads on the ground do this.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Junna

Why is this a problem? I think this makes sense. How else would you be able to exclude city cars from owned ways?

jamespetts

This is not a bug: it is intended that private ways should not be usable by other players/private cars without permission. The same code applies for all types of way. Generally, players would do well to allow others to use their infrastructure, as quite significant toll revenue can be generated. It is only with the advent of railways that it might make sense to exclude players , but, even then, at least until somebody manages to code a more finely grained permissions system, it is best to allow access in the game, subject to the players to whom access is allowed following the rules set for them by the player allowing access (sanction for breach of which is withdrawal of access) than not to allow access at all.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

AP

I think what is lacking here is the ability to make a player road public. Say I build a railway or canal, which cuts across many existing public roads; of course I build nice bridges so the roads aren't isolated. But nobody can use them. I don't intend to charge people for the privilege of crossing my canal*. I want the bridges to be used by everyone, and that would be entirely separate to any access restrictions I might apply to the canal network itself. But I can't build as Public Player, nor make the bridge public retrospectively.

There used to be a "make stop public" button. Whatever happened to that, and would it work on roads?

*although that would open up an entirely different game strategy...

jamespetts

The button still exists and can be used on roads - but it is disabled for players other than the public player because this could simply be used to evade paying maintenance charges. What would ultimately be a good idea is a more fine grained tool for allowing access only on certain parts of the network (which would then be mandatory and unavoidable on any ways upgraded from previously unowned ways). That would require substantial new coding, however, and is not currently a high priority.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.