News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

news items to buy and set in the game : files ".pak" how it works?

Started by Paderau, February 12, 2014, 03:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paderau

Sorry! I'm not sure where I must ask my question...:

I found some items: factories, engines, wagons.... to buy (and download) to their designers
I have downloaded some of them (".pak files")on my PC
How must I do to implement them in the Game??
Where can I find the method if it already exists?
Thanks for your Help

Václav

It is a very strange ... because Simutrans is open-source, thus free of charge - and even if some paksets (graphical versions) are not open-source (for example pak128.German or Pak128.CS), all their objects should be free of charge (even if their sources are not available).

But without link to those pages, hard to say. It would be good if you ar least specify for what pakset those objects should be or so. Only then anybody can say any more.

But from me: it is a very suspicious.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Ters

If someone asked for money for something, I'd really demand of them to give me instructions on how to use them.

I'm no expert on add-ons beyond the standard Simutrans pak sets, but first of all you need a basic pak set. These come in different styles and sizes. Any add-ons you use must match the size and should also match the style.

Although nothing prohibits artists from demanding payment for their work, prior experience is that when someone is selling something Simutrans, they have usually just taken something that's already available for free and put up for sale. In some (most) cases, this is illegal. Especially if they remove the original license and name of original author.

Paderau

Thanks for your answers!
Ok! I understand now! I normaly do not have anything to pay for the files '.pak' I found ... (and I obtained them for free) but  they were blocked:
impossible to unrar them >>> making that operation I obtain ".pak" files impossible to open, to move to another directory, and impossible to read ".txt" files
coming with them in the ".rar" file where they are compressed.
(Reason because I thought I have something to pay for using them)
My OS is Windows8.1, I use Simutrans 112.3 - f 6520
So what I don't understand is how to do for implementing correctly the files I need for adding an addon (factory, engine, wagon ...)in the game
And where it is possible to find good working addons
Thanks for your Help

The Hood

All you do is place the .pak file in the folder of the pakset you are using (e.g. if pak64 then in Simutrans/pak/, pak128.Britain then Simutrans/pak128.Britain).

Ters

Quote from: The Hood on February 12, 2014, 07:21:39 PM
All you do is place the .pak file in the folder of the pakset you are using (e.g. if pak64 then in Simutrans/pak/, pak128.Britain then Simutrans/pak128.Britain).

Well, if Simutrans is installed "properly" on a OS that limits what non-administrators can do, the add-on pak files should/must be placed somewhere in the add-on directory in the Simutrans user directory. On Windows, that would be in the Documents folder. However, I do not know the exact directory structure, as I've never done such a thing.

Paderau

Ah ok!
My mistake was to try to use a train before its first date of working!
the train I had added was operational in 2012 ...and I tried it in 1988
reason because it can't work until this date ... I'm a beginer in this game
Many thanks for your help! It's clearer for me now!