News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

[r6520] 112.3 pak error

Started by goodnight033, February 16, 2014, 12:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodnight033

I am a massive fan of both British and Japanese paks, so few years ago I have downloaded pak128 first, then attempted to mix pak128.britain into the same pak folder. However it only works when I removed a few British pak files. As a consequence I have never updated my British pak files for a few years.

All was well until I decided to install some recent pak files from the Japanese simutrans page. However as the Simutrans boots up the error message comes up.  The message continues until I remove the new-freshly installed file from the pak128 folder.
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/simutrans_pak.jpg
Can anyone help and find out what is the cause of this please?

Cheers!  :)

Nachteule

65534 is a value exceeded. only suspected, possibly 16 bit High Color Images ? 2^16 = 65,536 colors. (24-bit True Color 16.78 million colors)
to be sure, disable all other Paks (eg. move all Paks or compress it with 7-zip. Rar, etc for a backup.) Download the pack again. install it again. possibly  move My Documents \ settings.xml or simuconf.tab

Ters

Quote from: goodnight033 on February 16, 2014, 12:02:08 AM
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/simutrans_pak.jpg
Can anyone help and find out what is the cause of this please?

Simply put: You have too many pak files in a single pak set (including add-ons).

Simutrans can only handle 65534 distinct images. How many images a pak file contains varies, so it's impossible to give a maximum for number of pak files, but to avoid this error, it is pak files you must delete.

Mixing pak sets is likely a bad idea regardless of this, as they won't match up in terms of industry chains or pricing. You'll also get double up of basic stuff.

Yona-TYT

Many of the new players do not know how to add addons.
This is because it simutrans does not generate that directory.

My suggestion is that "simutrans / addons / pak..xx" are generated automatically. ;)

goodnight033

Quote from: Ters on February 16, 2014, 07:36:29 AM
Simply put: You have too many pak files in a single pak set (including add-ons).

Simutrans can only handle 65534 distinct images. How many images a pak file contains varies, so it's impossible to give a maximum for number of pak files, but to avoid this error, it is pak files you must delete.

Mixing pak sets is likely a bad idea regardless of this, as they won't match up in terms of industry chains or pricing. You'll also get double up of basic stuff.
Ok, thank you very much.
Perhaps just need to look for unused pak files so that I can delete them

goodnight033

Quote from: Yona-TYT on February 16, 2014, 10:33:58 AM

My suggestion is that "simutrans / addons / pak..xx" are generated automatically. ;)
That was what I was stuck at as I started a few years back, because the two Japanese and British paks were just too attractive to me.  ;)

Ters

Quote from: Yona-TYT on February 16, 2014, 10:33:58 AM

That might certainly help, although one still has to know where to start looking.

Are there any easy to use add-on managers out there? Maybe one could be bundled, or at least provide an installer that can be shown prominently on the official download pages. The add-on manager should run out of the box, without any need to install something else first.

Yona-TYT

El instalador tiene que reconocer la extensión ". Pak" y asignar su propio icono.
Sería interesante.

Spacethingy

Why is that limit there? Is it a memory limit thing?
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

Ters

Quote from: Spacethingy on February 16, 2014, 01:30:48 PM
Why is that limit there? Is it a memory limit thing?

Almost, but not quite. Images are identified with a 16-bit unsigned integer value. This has been discussed on this forum many times. Increasing it to a 32-bit integer value would change the size of many data structures, which in turn may break alignments that may or may not have much to say for performance. So while doing the change in itself is easy, there is a patch for it somewhere, it has not been applied to trunk, likely because nobody has had the time to investigate the consequences of doing so.

goodnight033

Quote from: Ters on February 16, 2014, 02:02:02 PM
Almost, but not quite. Images are identified with a 16-bit unsigned integer value. This has been discussed on this forum many times. Increasing it to a 32-bit integer value would change the size of many data structures, which in turn may break alignments that may or may not have much to say for performance. So while doing the change in itself is easy, there is a patch for it somewhere, it has not been applied to trunk, likely because nobody has had the time to investigate the consequences of doing so.
Wouldn't changing to 32 bit will limit the amount of paks in the pak folder?

Ters

Quote from: goodnight033 on February 16, 2014, 02:28:54 PM
Wouldn't changing to 32 bit will limit the amount of paks in the pak folder?

There will always be a limit. But when you can have 4294967294 images instead of 65534, you can have a lot more pak files in a pak set, unless you also switch to pak files with an insane amount of images in them. (It is however impossible to have even 2000000000 images in Simutrans since virtual memory space will be exhausted long before that. Some might still even run out of physical memory.)

prissi

But back to topic: rail and road vehicles of all paks in size 128 does not match! If you want you can take the buildings, and the infrastructure and vehicles from one set. Most sets even have different width of rails!

BTW: identical images are merged on loading, i.e. only really different images contribute.