News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Shinny New, Literally

Started by FS1819, February 22, 2014, 03:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FS1819

Too shinny perhaps  :o
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

Ohh, splendid! I have been wanting one of those in the pakset for a long time.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

FS1819

I have updated the renderings slightly. I still can't solve the glare problem.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

Have you set the faces on the roof to "shade flat" rather than "shade smooth"?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

FS1819

It is in shade smooth. Are there any other ways that can solve this? I hope it doesn't involve changing the geometry, because NBfL is a pain to model and paint.

Let me show you shade flat.

Edit: And it is not just the front
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

It should be "shade flat" and not "shade smooth". However, "shade flat" does not seem to work well here. Hmm - I am not necessarily the best person to be advising on this, as my knowledge of Blender lighting is limited. I wonder whether Kieron might be able to assist...?

Sarlock

Looks great!

Have you turned off the specularity on the material used for the shell of the bus?

Why is the bottom fully red at one angle but has black squares breaking up the bottom red colour in the other angle?  Intended?  (I'm not that familiar with the design, as we don't have those over here)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

jamespetts

The design looks correct to me (although it would be good, as a finishing touch, to represent some white text in the route indicators and some advertising on the sides).

FS1819

Quote from: Sarlock on February 22, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
Looks great!

Have you turned off the specularity on the material used for the shell of the bus?

Why is the bottom fully red at one angle but has black squares breaking up the bottom red colour in the other angle?  Intended?  (I'm not that familiar with the design, as we don't have those over here)
Ooops, silly me. Thank you.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

Sarlock

Ah, I see it now, those are intended to be the doors on that side.  Looks great now!

Some extra details would certainly help break up the solid red on the sides.  I wonder if some subtle divisions for the windows (or at least the doors) would work or whether it would clutter up the model.  That said, I am no pak128.Britain expert, I know there is a preference for solid windows :)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

FS1819

Quote from: jamespetts on February 22, 2014, 05:39:54 PM
The design looks correct to me (although it would be good, as a finishing touch, to represent some white text in the route indicators and some advertising on the sides).
I have finished painting it. I have only added the destination, and the Roundel though. I don't like how the ad vinyls ruin the looks.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

Ahh, those little touches really do make a difference. I think that they sometimes run without advertisements, so this is not unrealistic. Splendid job!

The Hood

Looks great. As Sarlock said, turning off (or, what I normally do, make the specular colour closer to the diffuse colour rather than white) is the best way to cure the glare. Looking forward to the completed article!

FS1819

As all my tests are over, I finally have time to finish this. However, while trying to use the new render script, I ran into this problem.

It gives me this message even though I have a sun defined.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

The Hood

Do you want to upload your blend file somewhere and I'll take a look?

The Hood

I take it you got it to work then? My only thoughts are that it looks a little long. At 30m per tile, the 11.23m bus works out at length=6 in the dat file, but I notice you have it set to 9. Other than that, great work!