News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

[Pak128] Isle of Man

Started by citybus7, November 17, 2012, 02:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citybus7

For all who find automatically generated maps monotonous, I am sharing a Simutrans version of the Isle of Man.

Map size is 640 x 640. I have tried to correctly place notable settlements, rivers and main roads. I added some names for geographical features such as capes and peaks. The in-game population approximates the population of real-life Isle of Man (around 85.000). I added a rudimentary industrial network to increase playability, but the factories are not based on real-life.

The scenario would be to design a clever transport network for this rather small island in order to allow for massive growth. Think Douglas the new Dubai.

For an overview map click here.
For a city list screenshot click here.
For a sample view of Douglas and surroundings click here.

Acknowledgment: I used a heightmap of the Isle of Map found here.

Click here to download the save game.

Combuijs

That is a nice source for heightmaps! Are they compatible with Simutrans heightmaps? And do you think it is allowed to publish them on the Simutrans maps website?
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

1993matias

Looks nice, I look forward to play it! I just can't seem to start it with timeline on; how to?

EDIT: Found out in the config.tab file. I'll go play it now :D

HDomos

Wow... Cool scenario... I'm working on it :)
Here are some pictures of its state now:

As you can see what i managed now is a company with 30% margin and more net whealth than the start, all industries connected, and the public transport system is extending from douglas. Currently i have pax (with buses) and mail in Douglas, Onchan (aprox. 80%), Union Mills, Glen Vine and Crosby, and a bus line is reaching St. Johns and peels. Now i'm beginning to expand the passenger network towards the north section, with a train service from Ramsey to St. John and the Douglas region :)
When I'm done i'll post more pictures...

citybus7

@Combuijs: My guess is you'd have to contact the original authors and ask for permission? Or you can just post the link?

@HDomos: This looks fantastic. It's interesting to see how differently people play this game. For me it is crucial to have all towns connected ASAP, which in the case of this rather small map I did with a network of intercity and local bus lines. It's working fine, but will be overcrowded very soon. Then I am thinking of a train line connecting Ramsey, Laxey, Douglas, Castletown and Port St Mary/Port Erin. And then possibly another line to Peel. I will also try to add a mail network: on bigger maps mail is so difficult to organise I think but on this one I should be fine. I guess the towns should grow faster then...

Thanks to everyone who has downloaded the "scenario", I hope you are enjoying it!

1993matias

I like the map very much - small, but not too small. I'm having a profit of -16k monthly though, so I must be doing something wrong with all my trains... I connected almost every town with railway lines, but in the 30's the trains are a bit expensive to run - and buses are a bad choice.

HDomos

Quote from: citybus7 on November 18, 2012, 08:37:30 PM
@HDomos: This looks fantastic. It's interesting to see how differently people play this game. For me it is crucial to have all towns connected ASAP, which in the case of this rather small map I did with a network of intercity and local bus lines. It's working fine, but will be overcrowded very soon. Then I am thinking of a train line connecting Ramsey, Laxey, Douglas, Castletown and Port St Mary/Port Erin. And then possibly another line to Peel. I will also try to add a mail network: on bigger maps mail is so difficult to organise I think but on this one I should be fine. I guess the towns should grow faster then...

Thanks to everyone who has downloaded the "scenario", I hope you are enjoying it!

Thanks... Your map is cool :D
I usually play on large maps with lots of money, and huge towns and many industries. This is very different form my other game with a huge map... This map is just small enough to be playable for me :)
Now some progression:

The rail line between Douglas and Ramsey via St. Johns is ready and making great profit. The douglas city bus network became a bit overcrovded, so i reorganized it to two tram lines and a bus line. All towns connected now.:) Next plans are improving the south, and adding a rail line between Ramsey and Onchan on the east shore to have a straight route between the two.

This is the douglas area

and here are the two tram lines. One goes to Onchan (upper right), one to the union Mills shopping mall,
and both go to the train station to south.

Fabio

HDomos, I can't help noticing in your 4th screenshot a few supertall towers (in blue and pink shades).
Where are they from? They are not standard issued Pak128 ;)

greenling

Fabio
I think that those building cam out japan.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

HDomos

Quote from: greenling on November 19, 2012, 07:31:51 PM
Fabio
I think that those building cam out japan.
You are right... They are from the japanese addons site.  :D (Sometimes they are a bit annoying when they replace the tall buildings in big cities... (there is a big tower with higher level than any of the standard buildings...) but i don't have the time to find them and delete them...)

Sarlock

Correct, they are from the japan addons site... there are a lot of buildings there, some are quite nice but none are to the "official" pak128 scale so they look a bit out of place against other tall buildings that are to the right scale (like your apartment blocks, Fabio).
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

HDomos

If you haven't got enough pictures already, here are more  ;D

Quote from: citybus7 on November 17, 2012, 02:35:03 PM
The scenario would be to design a clever transport network for this rather small island in order to allow for massive growth. Think Douglas the new Dubai.

I think that massive growth began :) My pax network is covering the whole area, with many fast (150-180km/h) train services, local trams, trolleys and buses in every town and some inter city bus lines.  Beside the population doubling, many new industries have been founded. Like this car factory:

As there are many passenger trains, and the most of the freight is transported by train, the infrastructure is quite complex now. The main lines have two tracks, and both passenger and freight trains operate on them. Almost everything is electrified. There is a freight tunnel beneath the city of Onchan.

This picture shows the railways of the southern part. The passenger lines are:
-Peel-St. John's-Foxdale-Ballasalla-Castletown
-Peel-St. John's-Crosby-Glen Vine-Union Mills-Douglas
-Foxdale-Crosby-Glen Vine-Union Mills-Douglas
-Newtown-Car factory-Glen Vine-Crosby
-Newtown-Car factory-Union Mills-Douglas
-Port Erin-Port Saint Mary-Colby_Ballabeg-Castletown
-Castletown-Ballasalla-Newtown-Douglas
-And two lines going north, one at the east and one on the west coast to Ramsey

Ps.: This post happened to be a bit long... :)

ML

Well, it has been a longer time since I have been playing this map (winter 2012). Here is a short story and a few screenshots of how I made it to 1945.
From the very beginning, works have started on a passenger network connecting Douglas, the largest island-city, and Onchan, its northern neighbour and second most populous city. No surprise then that the first rail was laid in the northern direction aiming at Ramsey, third biggest town. Due to a misscalculation in the financial department, the goal of completing the first railway (not doubletrack all the way long yet) was achieved a bit later than expected. Luckily it had proven a good investment and within a few months works have started on the central railway leading in the eastern direction from Douglas. This second railway was being extended once a few months always when the budget allowed doing so. Meanwhile, in order awake some transport in the desired area, express busses were always sent to link the next city, where the rail was about to be built. Within the first few years both connections were complete (reached both Ramsey and Peel) and running on doubletracks. The amount of trains underway was rising rapidly as the demand was growing fast. After having estabilished the backbone of the public transport system, postal carriages were put into operation, since all the needed infrastructure was built already.
Having spare capacity on the railways built, the company had decided to step to goods-transportation bussiness. A few links were constructed to the existing railway and first carriages were dispatched in the northern and central area. New rail connecitons to factories had been built in such pattern, that later they allowed extending the pax network to other destinations. That is how, step by step, stop by stop, the northern and later the southern pax lines were built.
From that time on I was just looking at the speed by which the industries and cities were growing and trying to connect at least some of the chains, but they were much faster than me!

Pax/mail train network. Around 30 convoys consisting of Taurus + 2 mail carriages + 7 pax carriages. All the railways on the small island are built for 160 km/h. Taurus, used for all convoys, can reach 140, slowest of the goods trains 120, but due to the amount of pax stops it almost never causes any delays to pax trains on shared tracks.

Douglas bay area. The two coastal cities are Douglas and Onchan. The first railway to Ramsey via Onchan was moved to a tunnel a few years ago, which allowed extending of the goods transport. The central pax/mail rail leads to the left upper corner. Left from Douglas, there is a joint terminus with the southern rail. The rest is goods rail, which will have to be expanded between Douglas and Peel, since large dealys threaten in there.As well, what seems to be a monolite urban area in 1945, used to be separated towns in the early 1930s.

Complete network. Population has approx doubled, amount of factories even trippled. Rumours are spreading, the company-owner is on a loooong holiday now.

Thank you for the map. I will definitely come back to this again to finish what has been started; there is so much work to do :-)

kierongreen

Very interesting to see how these maps have developed compared to real life :)