News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Simutrans site - www.simutrans.com (old topic)

Started by IgorEliezer, January 25, 2009, 12:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

Nice Igor, I like it... it makes muuuuch easier to understand. But maybe the colours could be improved :P

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Zeno on July 08, 2009, 07:19:00 AM
But maybe the colours could be improved :P

As I've said, it's just an idea. Colors were poorly chosen.

And the icons came from here: http://www.iconfinder.net/. I loved this site (Idea from Vilvoh)

vilvoh

cool!! now I hope people get the idea. For me it's clear, but people usually hate mathematics... ::)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Colin

Quote from: vilvoh on June 30, 2009, 09:47:02 PM
It's clear, 69 means 68 and you owe me one...there's no sexual connotations anywhere... ::)

Er! what do you mean 'sexual' is that something to do with the species? And, dont you mean69 is realy 70 and you owe me one?
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

VS

I like both changes, The first (already live) makes it easier to find the object of interest, and the second makes it graphically very clear :) Perhaps a small text for paksets saying "one or more" would help?

As to zip versus/plus installer, having it as a zip emphasises that it does not need installation to people who get ill even hearing "installer". It's a kind of added bonus, perhaps attracting the skilled ones... I certainly prefer software that can be unzipped and run.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

As there is also a mekobj for PowerPC for macs on the nightly page, maybe this needs change too.

sojo

The last one is very nice and this can understand everybody. Nobody needs english to understand this. I like it.
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

z9999

How about removing incompatible paksets from PakSets list.
They don't work with v102 anymore.

sojo

Quote from: z9999 on July 08, 2009, 01:43:11 PM
How about removing incompatible paksets from PakSets list.
They don't work with v102 anymore.

Or make a new box with older versions under the latest version-box!?
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

IgorEliezer

New changes:

http://www.simutrans.com/download.htm: new icons and new section arrangement.

http://www.simutrans.com/paksets.htm: new order.

IgorEliezer

Another little secret.

I was thinking of creating a blog for whole Simutrans Community, where any member in charge of project or activity could post.

http://www.simutrans.com/index_news.html (it's just the index page with a link "News" that leads you to an existing blog)

We have some blogs out there, but nothing official, and we have enough people who have posted news frequently.

Quote from: prissi on July 08, 2009, 11:13:15 AM
As there is also a makeobj for PowerPC for macs on the nightly page, maybe this needs change too.

But I didn't find makeobj for PowerPC at SourceForge page. I think a stable version of MakeObj could be hosted there, then I link it to simutrans.com.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

vilvoh

Would be something like Simutrans Develoment blog, but a community level? Perhas there's a service like that at SourceForge..

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Could set up a Wordpress blog - that allows you to have multiple authors posting entries...

VS

The point is to have it integrated with the site seamlessly (design-wise), I presume?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Michael 'Cruzer'

I don't have conact with blogs yet, but I would like a system like a news reader where every heads of the simutrans projects could post their news!
But it should be included in the homepage style!
Founder and Ex-Maintainer of pak192.comic. Provider of Simutrans Hosting rental service.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Well, using the current design requires finding a tool that can be templated - and WordPress can be... *shrug*

There's other solutions, for sure...

IgorEliezer

Good things are always more than welcome.

My idea came from two things:

1) "Someone" said we need to create a feeling of a community (I can't say who is someone because it was mentioned "privately" :-[);

2) And:

Quote from: freegamer on January 25, 2009, 01:13:47 AM
6.  No news?  People love news.  There should be at least an RSS of the download forum or something similar.  

The FreeCol website is an example of a great front page.  Everything is obvious, easy to parse at a glance.

The blog would work like BlenderNation does (http://www.blendernation.com/ at http://www.blender.org/). Not all members would post, but a restrict group would; visitor could post comments.

Can we discuss about it here or elsewhere?

EDIT:

Quote from: Michael 'Cruzer' on July 10, 2009, 06:25:26 PM
but I would like a system like a news reader where every heads of the simutrans projects could post their news!

You got my idea. ;D The blog wouldn't be only for Simutrans Developers, but for any member is charge of an activity.

vilvoh

The RSS feeds are a great idea, but that means we need to update the website very often, so I don't know if that would be very comfortable. I don't know if you can create a RSS channel with having a website, at Feedburner i.e...Anyway, I already suggested having a twitter account related with Simutrans news. It's extremly dinamic, easy to update and only allows you 140 characters, so I guess it wouldn't be annoying to write short news each day. On the other hand, a blog it's also dinamic but needs a little bit more maintenance work, thus as you prefer, I will support and if possible I'll take part in both solutions.

VS

Hmhm... maybe robofish could help with something? There was something Isaac had on the previous forum, "Devotee news", it was crude but worked... That's all we could need, assuming the authors can write html (come on, is it harder than forum bbcode?).

IgorEliezer

I don't think we need to post everyday. I want just a place where any project leader, developer, devotee, moderator and admin can post what they think is important to post. If there's nothing to post, post nothing.

I prefer a system where we can post short texts and it's possible to attach a photo or video *and* easier for a visitor of Simutrans.com to find what happens in the community. Something friendly "catchable" and more visible for visitors (sample http://www.blendernation.com/2009/07/01/blender-25-overview-video/).

Spike

Quote from: IgorTekton on July 10, 2009, 06:32:48 PM
1) "Someone" said we need to create a feeling of a community (I can't say who is someone because it was mentioned "privately" :-[);

I think several people share this idea. I'm just bad lately at contributing to the community feeling.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Hajo on July 10, 2009, 07:58:42 PM
I think several people share this idea.

I share too and I agree with you. So that I'm trying to take some actions to solve this situation.

jamespetts

I thought that we already had a feeling of community? Not that we can't make it even better, of course.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Spike

I think the "make it better" was what we meant. For me, it will mean to try to spend more time here, and try to get involved better. I can't say though, if I'll have the time and energy to do that, but I think it'd be the right thing to do.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Hajo on July 10, 2009, 09:07:16 PM
I think the "make it better" was what we meant. For me, it will mean to try to spend more time here, and try to get involved better. I can't say though, if I'll have the time and energy to do that, but I think it'd be the right thing to do.

I'd love to see you around more -- which is not to say I think you're withholding yourself from the community. I've been glad to see you around; but of course I'd love to see you around even more, is what I mean to say. ;-)

Conversely, don't spend more time than you have. It's a lesson I've begun to learn as I've tried to balance work, school, and the things I want to do... :)

Also, on the topic at hand -- I'm all for trying to come up with new ideas to make things *better*. Taht doesn't mean things are *bad* at all - but always striving for improvement is a Good Thing in my book :D

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Hajo on July 10, 2009, 09:07:16 PM
I think the "make it better" was what we meant.

Yes. What I'm focusing is better communication among community members *and* between community and visitors of Simutrans.com, is to attract more new people and so.

I got to go. Later I treat more about.

IgorEliezer

I created a beta test site, so I can test and receive feedbacks before replacing the current one:

http://www.simutrans.com/newsite/index.html

(WARNING: DO NOT advertise this address above, because I can remove this site without notice)

prissi

Not sure if the team email still works. ANd I would make the sourceforge project page a real link on the about page.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: prissi on July 16, 2009, 04:13:28 PM
Not sure if the team email still works.

Hmm... I found that e-mail in Simutrans splash screen, when you start Simutrans up. Anyway, it's interesting we have an e-mail (example: http://www.freecol.org/contact.html)

Quote from: prissi on July 16, 2009, 04:13:28 PM
ANd I would make the sourceforge project page a real link on the about page.

Currently that text is there just for placeholder; it's far from final version. I think of transferring it to Development page (http://www.simutrans.com/newsite/development.htm).

IgorEliezer

Huge topic is huge.

Locking this one, and creating a new one: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=3434.0