News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Religious Symbols in Simutrans

Started by Václav, April 02, 2014, 02:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on April 04, 2014, 02:30:20 AM
So why no military bases or nuclear facilities? Because those were deemed controversial, and eliminated from the base game.

Something I think is questionable, but I recognise people have the right to take that view. Pak-britain runs from 1750. The invention of the high pressure steam piston so essential for steam locomioves directly arose as a consequence of the canon-barrel boring technologies developed for miliatary artillery and naval guns. One of the largest consumers of timber was the navy, armies are a vast consumer of industrial material, and have been for most of the 19th and 20th centuries. I think it doesnt ring true for the game to have the consequence of development whilst excluding the cause.

But since I don't create the content myself, that's just my POV. And I'm happy to play with them present or not. :)

Václav

Quote from: Markohs on April 06, 2014, 07:18:49 PM
I don't feel disturbed as a atheist seeing religuous items,
Me too ... and even if I count myself as atheist, I have respect for most religuous items.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

kierongreen

In Great Britain there are wayside crosses, more often in rural areas. Pretty much every village has a church so it would be strange not to include them in the pak. In modern times there might be a case for also including mosques in larger cities. Other religious buildings (including synagogues) are simply too rare to include on a realistic basis.

Regarding military bases and factories - aside from times of total war (WWI and WW2) these haven't been anywhere near as widepread as other industries. Warfare might have often advanced technology, but for Britain the industrial revolution happened more in a climate of colonisation than of war with other European powers (for example the only war with a European empire I can think of between 1815 and 1914 was the Crimean war). From a transport point of view from 1750 to 1815, even with wars with Napoleonic France and the the USA the triangular route for trade (including unfortunately the slave trade) was probably the biggest long distance transport user.

Leartin

Quote from: prissi on April 06, 2014, 07:36:35 PM
As with the british trains, which were not considered for inclusion (for whatever reason I forgot, honestly) I would ask to make it either and addon or put is into the rocky climate and give it a much lower probability than the flower patches. Otherwise there would be anyway too many of them to be visually pleasant. Maybe even make it a tree. If included it will need a good translation at least on the english language to not irritate people why there are grave in the landscape.

You are totally right there - Austria only, in an acceptable amount, as explained early on. And a describing translation instead of a cheap joke. That's not even a compromise, that's the initial intention.

Ters

Norway has wayside crosses at sites of some fatal car accidents, but accidents don't happen in Simutrans. (I'm not sure these are legal. The authorities might just leave them alone for several possible reasons.) A landscape full of crosses would look silly or morbid in my eyes, without even having to consider the religious aspect. If it was a real landscape, and not a game, the silly aspect would change to something that can kind of be described as "too much religion". (And after seeing that, the game would look realistic rather than silly or morbid.)

Václav

Quote from: Ters on April 08, 2014, 04:12:34 PM
Norway has wayside crosses at sites of some fatal car accidents
Czech republic too - but these wayside crosses are very small, mostly they don't reach level of knees - and it means that in Simutrans they would be almost invisible, aside of they would be along all roads (even if most fatal car accidents happen on road crossings and railway crossings) without regard of inside town or not. And it could seem very strange.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní