News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Introduce yourself to the community

Started by IgorEliezer, January 26, 2009, 04:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davis Patch

Hello and welcome!
I'm from Leeds
Love this forum
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Winston Churchill

HaydenRead

Welcome to Simutrans, I am from New Zealand, and find this a wonderful community.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: HaydenRead on January 14, 2016, 07:53:38 PM
Welcome to Simutrans, I am from New Zealand, and find this a wonderful community.
Without any doubt, is one the best communities I've seen.  :thumbsup:

sdog

Welcome Mr Gibbs and Mr Patch, I shall look forward to enjoyable conversations about this lovely game, that appears so small, yet is so deep.

mahamkhan

Hello Everyone, My name is Maham Khan and i am new to this community , I hope everyone is doing good here ?

gauthier

Welcome ! We hope you will enjoy the game and the community here  ;)

SamMarron

Hi, i'm from Berlin, nice to meet you all!

kierongreen

jimbolimbo9

Hello people, I'm James and I'm from Oxford, UK. I enjoy playing Simutrans in my spare time, and I'm a big fan of the pak128.Britain pakset! There are quite a few road and rail vehicles missing in the pak (in my opinion). I am a rail and bus enthusiast (train/bus spotter in layman's terms) and I am very willing to help improve the British pak with new vehicles, as soon as I get to grips with how to go about it!
James L

My Flickr - click here.

jamespetts

Welcome! If you would like any help with producing new/adapted graphics, do ask on the Pak128.Britain forum, and we will be glad to help. With the latest methods/processes, producing new graphics should be fairly easy now once you get to grips with using Blender (and you only need to know the basics of that).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

sebastien

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. My name is Sébastien and I'm from Paris. I'm a software developer.

I discovered Simutrans thanks to a great friend who has been playing for at least 10 years and is active in this community.

I have not yet finished my first game but I already think this game is wonderful. I'd be happy to help the community improve this game or the pak128.

jamespetts

Welcome! May you have much Simutrans related enjoyment.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

mwang

Hello fellow peoples!
My name is Ming, im a 20 year old student in Canada. I've never really played Simutrans before but I am definitely going to play it now. I look forward to fixing bugs, pushing updates and being involved in this great community!

Thank you for reading  :)

jamespetts

Welcome to the community! Excellent to see new developers joining us. Do let me know if you would like any help in getting started.

JHSDF

Hello! My name is JHSDF, from Japan. I'm 21 years old.
I play Simutrans for 3 years. And recently, I make some addons with 3DCG modeling.
I'm not good at English, but I'd like to communicate with you.
My website has some addon for pak128.japan
http://kyuujitujieitai.wixsite.com/simuexpo

twitter https://twitter.com/kyuujitujieitai

Combuijs

Welcome to the community! Wish you lots of fun here!
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

jamespetts

Kernigh

I'm Kernigh. I'm teaching myself to play Simutrans with Pak128 after having played OpenTTD. My computer runs OpenBSD. I was able to download the source code of Simutrans from Sourceforge and build it for SDL on OpenBSD. I can't play multiplayer because the game crashes, but I can play single-player Pak128.

I played my first game of Simutrans in September 2015. I was not in beginner mode or free-play mode. I built buses and transported only passengers. I used public roads to save money. I stayed out of debt and made a small profit. I slowly expanded my bus network to get more passengers. Then profit went negative and stayed negative. I had too many empty buses losing money, and elsewhere, I had too many passengers in crowded stops. I sold some buses but failed to fix the problem. I founded the company in 1930 and abandoned it in 1955.

I stopped playing Simutrans until March 2017, when I got Simutrans 120.2.1 and Pak128 2.6. I teach myself to build trains. I buy a cheap engine, the Nabe-JNR SL C11. I add Plank Cars and make a 4-tile train. I experiment in some games that I don't save. Then I reroll new maps until I have tree plantations, and I start my second game, "Edinburgh". My trains pull lumber to a sawmill and planks to a furniture factory. I'm not transporting furniture, so the factory gets full and my company goes bankrupt.

My third game is "AI Land". I build nothing, but I start 6 passenger AIs and 6 cargo AIs. I watch as all 6 passenger AIs go bankrupt. Of the cargo AIs, 3 transport waste to an incinerator, and 3 do nothing. AIs never do the longer industry chains.

My fourth game is "Stirling". I again reroll for tree plantations. I go into debt to complete the chain of lumber to sawmills, planks to furniture factories, furniture to shopping center. I learn to ignore my big red negative account balance, and look at my net worth in the finances window. This is my first successful company in Simutrans. I almost go bankrupt when I sell my furniture trucks and buy furniture trains, but I survive. I founded the company in 1930, with 500,000 in cash. My net wealth returns to 500,000 in 1954.

The game makes .bmp screenshots. I cropped some and made .png files. They are bigger than 64K, too big for forum attachments, but I can upload them to Imgur and copy the "BBcode" from Imgur to here.

This was one of my bridges in my fourth game "Stirling". I terraformed to make the bridge, as I learned in the thread about double-height bridges. But the bridge has expensive maintenance.

So I deleted the bridge and put some elevated rail. This saves 75.40 every month in maintenance. It costs 22.00 to maintain a tile of bridge, but only 4.80 for a tile of elevated rail. Maintaining the 4-tile bridge costs 88.00, but maintaining 2 tiles of elevated rail and 2 tiles of regular rail cost only 12.60. Now I never build bridges and always build elevated rails.

An_dz

Very nice. You really worked it out. And it's nice to know that Simutrans can still be compiled on BSD.

Your last bit about the bridge vs. elevated way is a good point for pak maintainers to look at for pakset balancing.

prissi

I wonder about the crashes with network on BSD. Since we use mainly old routines, there should be very little reason for crashes.

jonbridg

Hi, I'm Jon from Wales. I've been playing Simutrans for a couple of years now and recently started with Extended; I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to this amazing game! I've had a lot of fun with pak128.Britain and, having made friends with Blender and GIMP while making models for MS Train Sim in the past, I'd like to get involved.

Thanks all!

jamespetts

Splendid - welcome to the forums and to the Simutrans community! It is excellent to see new people join, especially those interested in getting involved.

I should note that, due to the lower resolution graphics in the game compared to MSTS, you will find that you need only make much simpler models than you are used to.

I assume that you are interested in assisting with Pak128.Britain? If so, do have a look at this description of the new workflow for vehicles, ways, miscellaneous objects (such as road signs) and single tile buildings. This is easier and quicker than the old workflow because it is fully automated and requires no post-processing in the GIMP. Multi-tile buildings still require the old workflow.

Please do let me know what you are most interested in working on, and I will give you as much help as I am able. Thank you again for your interest.

jonbridg

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I've no particular modelling preferences though as I successfully added my first building to the game last week (using the old workflow, incidentally), I'm happy having a crack at buildings, monuments, etc.

That said, it would be great to see more Railway Air Services-era aircraft in the pak...

Jon

jamespetts

Excellent - I should be very interested to see your new building. Would you be minded to share it?

More aircraft from any era would be very much welcomed, as we are still somewhat short of aircraft, although aircraft are slightly trickier than other sorts of vehicles partly because they use a special non-linear scale so that a Boeing 747 can be represented in the same game as can display graphics for a bicycle at a sensible size, partly because the person who did all of our aircraft so far used a special mirroring system in Blender to duplicate them automatically about the Y axis (and so re-using those .blend files requires working with that system) and partly because aircraft, being large, require more attention to detail on the modelling than, say, a 'bus; however, if you have experience with the much more detailed models for MSTS, you might find this all relatively straightforward once you get used to the workflow.

As it happens, there are plans in progress at present (see here for details) to introduce a new mechanism into the game that would make early era air travel make much more economic sense in the game than it does at present, but those plans, if implemented, would also potentially require adding a lot of new first/second class railway carriages (class not currently being simulated, and third/standard class generally being used as the default), although this would mainly require small adaptations to existing railway carriages rather than adding lots of new carriages from scratch. If you would like to help with this when the time comes, that would be most welcome also.

Other than that, there is plenty of room to add more in the way of vehicles of all types and eras and more city buildings of all types and eras. Road goods vehicles with internal combustion engines, for example, all need to be re-scaled and re-rendered in the new workflow (as I did with steam powered road goods vehicles, horse drawn vehicles and 'buses over Christmas); if you are willing to help with that (and perhaps add some variety as you go along), that would be most welcome. If you would like me to suggest a list of things that I consider high priority, I should be happy to do so, but you are equally free to work on anything that takes your fancy (or some combination of the two if you are so minded).

Incidentally, I suggest that we carry on the discussion in more detail in a separate thread to leave this thread clear for new introductions. Perhaps you could post a thread in the Pak128.Britain forum with a screenshot of your new building and we could take it from there?

Thank you again for your interest.

ROCAMBOLER529

Hi we are ROCAMBOLER529 & The Argentians.

We are ones of the best argentians players of simutrans and we want to our opinions & proyect for the simutrans comunity and we hope that we can change some things in the Simutrans world! We are going to help to design and create vehicles or anything else to upgrade the game that a lot of people enjoy!
The Argentian (Argentina Empire)

jamespetts

nochiu

Hello,I am Nochiu and I play Simutrans Extended. I will report bugs in the fork and have plenty fun. Hello jamespletts, I really enjoy your fork.

jamespetts

Phystam

I'm not sure whether I introduced myself or not, so I introduce myself here.

I am now 24-old man who study nuclear physics as a Ph.D course student in Japan.
I got Simutrans standard first when I was 20-old, so I have played for 3 years or so.
I was interested in Simutrans-Extended when its title was changed from Experimental into Extended, and recently I mainly play Extended.
Thank you for providing such a great game!

emirkir

Hi!

I came across the fact that I haven't introduced myself to the community yet, so here you go!

I'm emirkir and I am a Swedish Simutrans player who speaks English, Swedish and Finnish fluently while living in Sweden.
So if needed I can help you guys with Swedish and Finnish translation... (I've noticed some English words and sentences in the Swedish Steam version that I've been playing..)
I have played Simutrans for about a half year now and I want to go deeper in the Simutrans-world to find some interesting stuff to play around with. Right now I am considering to build my hometown in Simutrans! (I recently started a topic about this in the Help Center.) And exploring how to make heightmaps and terrain-stuff etc.

I have never played a better transport-simulation game! Why haven't I seen this before 2017? Good work developing this awesome content!

JOIN SIMUTRANS DISCORD-SERVER! https://discord.gg/fpXY772

astrog

Hi everyone. I'm Gabriel, from Mexico. I've been playing Simutrans on and off the last few years. I studied logistics engineering. I'm a also a climate change activist.

An_dz

Quote from: astrog on June 28, 2019, 12:55:02 AM
I studied logistics engineering.

Hi Gabriel, seems you are the most perfect player type for Simutrans. ;D

Manche

Hello, there.

I know it's too late, but I introduce myself here.

I am 'Manche', and I am Japanese.

I played simutrans for over 10 years, from about 2004. (Sorry, I don't have enough conviction for when I started to play from.)
And I am born at 1994. Over half of my life is Simutrans.

I started to create my add on from 2013.
Almost of them is 'fictional railways add-on' or 'cover of official pakset'.
For example, nature gas factory chain (because official pakset contains gas tank as a station building), electric parts factory chain (because official add-on held a same that),
And Long trailer add-on (because official pakset contains a trailer, but cannot couple multiple trailers. But road train couples multiple trailers.).

Another example is 'Seikai Electric Railway Series / 青海電車シリーズ'. this is the biggest Fictional Railway add-on set in Japan Community.
Seikai Electric Railway Series is freelance train add-on set, based on Japan traditional railway and commonplace railway.

Mainly I always appearance for Japanese community,
but sometimes I will appearance for this forum.

Thank you for every Simutrans player.
And I am keep moving forward, for evolution.
Ye, Olde, simutrans Player, from 2004.
In Japanese, "Manche" is spelled "まんちぇ".
Sometimes provide translation and addons.

Discord: MancheHeckens#4830

DrakenJ35

Hello everyone!

I'm Draken, from Russia, and I've recently started playing Simutrans because of a chain of events that began in me playing with toy soldiers as a kid. No, really.
The chain went like this: playing with soldiers - learning about military history - becoming a big buff in planes, tanks, guns etc - researching why countries X and Y won wars while Z and W lost - learning it was mainly because of their industrial failures and insufficiences - researching military industry - researching industry in general - researching infrastructure and logistics - discovering Simutrans.
And that's pretty much it!

See you on the forums and have a nice day.

Vladki

Interesting chain. It may be interesting to compare how important was logistics in military success.