News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Introduce yourself to the community

Started by IgorEliezer, January 26, 2009, 04:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier

Hi and welcome :)

Quote from: H_Clapp on May 06, 2014, 02:38:59 AM
and would like to contribute in some way, although my coding skills are very limited.

If you have some artistic skills, you can also contribute by making objects.

Himser

Howdy,

My name is Tyler go by Himser on all my gaming stuff. but it doesnt really matter (that username is never taken...knock on wood.)

Im from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

found Simutrans 3-4 days ago. when i was searching for a new land use planner (ideally) or transportation simulation. been learning the ropes for a few days until i felt confident that this simulation is awesome and worth putting my time into. I think im going to stick to using the experimental version with the british pakset for the time being.

Bit about me professionally. Im from a Land development Background and in the near future i would like to get into Land Use Planning(Urban planning to some). i honestly believe in the future a GIS Land Use Planning/ Transportation simulation is needed in the professional world and im ok with that. I love this type of work and these types oif simulations just add to that.

I would like to contribute back to this community in some way. unfortunately being a Buisness person.. i have zero artistic skills or coding skills. i would like to learn how to build mapsets and create a large Canada map for anyone who may be interested. (learning how is a first step tho). if there is anything else people may need.. that i can do i will try to do it. especially as i will be enjoying everyone's hard work over the years.

gauthier

Hi :)
Nice to see someone who wants to help.
There is a raw map of Canada here, you can put cities and everything on it.
Quotei have zero artistic skills
For many people, artistic skills remain hidden until one just gives it a try. Making object for Simutrans is easy. If you are interested in making some addons (or at least some attempts), you will find tutorials to teach you how to.

jamespetts

Quote from: Himser on August 15, 2014, 03:47:37 AM
Howdy,

My name is Tyler go by Himser on all my gaming stuff. but it doesnt really matter (that username is never taken...knock on wood.)

found Simutrans 3-4 days ago. when i was searching for a new land use planner (ideally) or transportation simulation. been learning the ropes for a few days until i felt confident that this simulation is awesome and worth putting my time into. I think im going to stick to using the experimental version with the british pakset for the time being.

Bit about me professionally. Im from a Land development Background and in the near future i would like to get into Land Use Planning(Urban planning to some). i honestly believe in the future a GIS Land Use Planning/ Transportation simulation is needed in the professional world and im ok with that. I love this type of work and these types oif simulations just add to that.

I would like to contribute back to this community in some way. unfortunately being a Buisness person.. i have zero artistic skills or coding skills. i would like to learn how to build mapsets and create a large Canada map for anyone who may be interested. (learning how is a first step tho). if there is anything else people may need.. that i can do i will try to do it. especially as i will be enjoying everyone's hard work over the years.

Welcome! Always good to see new players.

One area in which you might be able to be of some assistance in the future is giving some input into the design of the new city growth algorithm in Experimental. I have not started work on that yet (and have not been working much on Simutrans lately as I am in the process of moving house), but hopefully work will be able to start on this in a few months' time (subject to delays whilst large bugs are fixed potentially).

There is a discussion about it here, and I should be interested in your views on the topic. Keep in mind that the algorithm has to be simple enough to work in the game environment, to code within a reasonable time by one person in his spare time and to maintain reasonably easily, work well with all the existing ways in which the game works, not take too much computational power and be as accurate an economic simulation as the forgoing allows. Do also bear in mind that the main focus of the game is transport, so any significant element that does not relate to transport one way or another is unlikely to be incorporated.

One thing in particular that is of interest in enhancing the ideas for city growth algorithms so far is a reasonably simple yet robust and reasonably realistic way of the game calculating an approximate land value for each tile, which would affect both the nature of the development there and the cost to the player of buying the land. One thing, however, which I think would take too much work at this stage because of the many different places in which very large changes to the code would be necessary to accommodate it is a class/wealth division between different buildings (and the passengers that they generate), although that might be worthwhile in the very, very distant future (or if an expert coder with lots of free time wants to add the feature earlier, then maintain it indefinitely afterwards).

In any event, welcome again - I hope that you have great fun with Simutrans.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Sarlock

Quote from: Himser on August 15, 2014, 03:47:37 AM
Howdy,

Another Canadian - welcome!  I am in Vancouver, BC.  I lived in Edmonton for about 8 years, so I know your city well.

I made a 20m scale map of Vancouver a year or so back, here.  What I had to do is get the USGS raw data for the area and painfully add piece by piece to cover the area, then convert the scale to the level I wanted.  Unfortunately the USGS data only extends for a short distance from the border, but a full Canada map will not require the same level of detail either.  The challenge in any game that uses a Canada map is representing the Rockies and BC's mountains in a way that makes them seem like mountains and not just a random mish-mash of different height levels.  Especially in Simutrans with a per tile height differential limit of 2 tiles (4 with half-heights).

Being able to convert Google Earth height data to a greyscale bitmap would be amazing, but as far as I know that ability does not exist (yet).
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Octavius

Ave, new here. I'm from the Netherlands and have played simutrans on and of for a few years (and reading the forum fo some time too). You'll find me mostly in the experimental section, as I found that scheduling convoys to fixed departure times is vital to my style of playing. I think I have some useful ideas, so I registered.

Combuijs

Welcome, always good to see some Dutchies...
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

AltTab

Hello everyone,

I'm from Portugal. I started paying 2 weeks ago. Still trying to get the hang of it. Still I already made an heightmap  :P

An_dz

Another Portuguese speaker!

Seja Bem-Vindo!

AltTab

Já vi que existe uma grande comunidade de brasileiros. No entanto, gostava de saber se também existem por aqui tugas.

*Since this is on the International part and I don't know if you don't mind other languages here I'll translate it here:
I've seen there's a big community of brazilians. However, I would like to know if there are also "tugas" (portuguese people) here.

R1dO

Hi,

Just a short hello to all of you.
I've been a read-only forum member for quite some time know. But hey, it is never too late to join a friendly club.

I must say Simutrans is pretty impressive and quite challenging (too keep up with non-linear passenger growth).
It is this challenge that I appreciate the most in the game.

Hope to be more vocal in the future,
René

Combuijs

And again another Dutchy! (I guess). Welcome, welcome!
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

R1dO

wayne01

Hey all this is Wayne am new here. Am a Business man and i recently join the forum. Giving thanks to Admin.

alexko

Hello
i am alex from hk
i like play simutrans and hope we can enjoy and have fun from the game.

An_dz

Hello alex, good to hear another user from Asia.

BillSVG

Hi there, I'm BillSVG, and I'm new to this community. I'm 17 years old and am currently learning multiple programming languages. I joined this community to get involved with the development process, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to Markohs and jamespett for inviting me to help out!

Edit: I just realized that I forgot to enter my known computer languages, and only entered my spoken languages. Is there any way to change this?

IgorEliezer

O hi Bill. Welcome to the community. :)

isidoro

Hi, BillSVG, and welcome!

You can change your language settings under "Profile", "Forum Profile".

Markohs

kierongreen

Hi BillSVG, I think I just replied to an email from you on sourceforge but welcome again anyway! :)

BillSVG

Thanks guys :D

Isidoro, thanks for the help, I was scared that I would have to create a new profile.

isidoro

addseo1118

Hello, I am new here. Nice to meet you. I hope to get more the interested things here.  ;D

phinsching

Hello people! I'm from São Paulo, Brasil.
I'm a crazy person: almost every day when I'm driving in the streets (or highways) I can't help analysing the traffic scheme or the road infrastructure and thinking that this or that traffic scheme is not good, or that there should be built a bridge or a tunnel in a certain place. In some ways Simutrans provide the experience of being able to create any traffic scheme. But also like the transportation logistics thing, playing with the organization of distribution network.
I'm new with the game, but I already have some ideas I'll share (or enter an existing topic built over the same idea).
To finish, I wish to congratulate all the programmers and designers who made simutrans what it is.
Best regards.

percy4u

Hi all, I'm Callum, from Manchester, UK. Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the game, and that I would like to contribute (if only I could draw and/or code...) when time allows. There are a few vehicles I would like to see implemented, but will save those for the pakset-specific boards :-X ...

TungstenX

Hi All,

TungstenX from South Africa here.  Still new at playing the game...  BTW, wicket anti-bot stuff  ;)
Xuǝʇsƃun┴

An_dz

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Yes, I'm sorry we have to run such anti-spam measures, but if we drop them, it's difficult to keep up with them. As An_dz implied - some still get through.

vzrenggamani

Hi , I am rengga :)
14 Years Old :) I am from Indonesia,

SIMUTRANS INDONESIA WEBSITE  <<< Indonesia Simutrans Addons Center And Web
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND MY ENGLISH

Isaac Eiland-Hall

michaelgibbs

Hi,

My name is Michael Gibbs. I am new member of the community and i like to say hello to all members.

vzrenggamani

Quote from: michaelgibbs on January 14, 2016, 05:21:37 AM
Hi,

My name is Michael Gibbs. I am new member of the community and i like to say hello to all members.

Hi, Nice To Meet you . i Am From Indonesia

SIMUTRANS INDONESIA WEBSITE  <<< Indonesia Simutrans Addons Center And Web
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND MY ENGLISH

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.