News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Main portal inspired theme

Started by An_dz, January 20, 2016, 01:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An_dz

This is a theme inspired on the new look of our portal, and based on pak96.comic theme. Maybe a possible candidate to replace our current ugly standard theme.

It's not complete, but I'm releasing it anyway if anyone is interested on extending it.

Touch interface also included.

Yona-TYT

I really would like this were the default theme of simutrans  :thumbsup: .

jamespetts

This is quite good, although I think that the background colour is too light and can make it difficult to see objects in some cases and white text in other cases (as in the finance window shown here). I wonder whether a darker colour might look better?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

An_dz

Texts can be made darker, but I agree the background can be darker, I'll try to edit it later.

I did not edit texts or other elements colours, which by default were made for the current grey theme.

vzrenggamani

Yes,
More Beautiful :)
Can you give some Windows Metro Theme to the simutrans ? So , Looks like modern game UI

SIMUTRANS INDONESIA WEBSITE  <<< Indonesia Simutrans Addons Center And Web
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND MY ENGLISH

An_dz

Generally speaking it's not a good idea to copy an OS style in a game. Especially cross-platform games. I'll just keep on this current style.

IgorEliezer

So beautiful.... but that bright-yellow text against that background, ewww.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: IgorEliezer on January 21, 2016, 10:20:43 PM
So beautiful.... but that bright-yellow text against that background, ewww.
It would be great to have shadows in the texts.  :thumbsup:

vzrenggamani

Quote from: An_dz on January 21, 2016, 03:51:05 PM
Generally speaking it's not a good idea to copy an OS style in a game. Especially cross-platform games. I'll just keep on this current style.

How about changing Button Control position ? so, close buttun , pin , and help button on the top right position

SIMUTRANS INDONESIA WEBSITE  <<< Indonesia Simutrans Addons Center And Web
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND MY ENGLISH

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: vzrenggamani on January 22, 2016, 07:28:21 AM
How about changing Button Control position ? so, close buttun , pin , and help button on the top right position

https://i.imgur.com/qRAxZe9.png

jamespetts

After using this for a few days, one or two additional comments: firstly, this is generally really a good theme: it is clearer, more modern in appearance and easier to use than the default theme. I should rather like to use it as the default theme for Experimental in the future (I presume that this is released under the same Artistic Licence as the rest of the Simutrans project)?

I have already commented that the background colour could do with being a tad darker. One other thing: there is no shading showing which tab is currently selected, which makes using tab interfaces (such as the depot window) unintuitive. Other than that, there is much to be said for this theme, suitably modified, becoming the default theme of Simutrans: I suspect that its UI style is more familiar to most users and therefore likely to make Simutrans appear more user friendly.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

An_dz

Thanks, most of the stuff require messing with the colour parameters from the theme .tab.

I have not got the time to work on it again, so I can't give any update. I would say that it's also a little inspired on SimCity.

And the licence is the same from Simutrans since it's meant to be the new default.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: IgorEliezer on January 22, 2016, 11:24:40 PM
Our Benevolent Dictator is quite benevolent these days. :)
Benevolent Dictator ?. ???

jamespetts

Quote from: An_dz on January 24, 2016, 07:33:53 PM
Thanks, most of the stuff require messing with the colour parameters from the theme .tab.

I must confess I'm having trouble working out which parameters that those are; does anyone know?

QuoteI have not got the time to work on it again, so I can't give any update. I would say that it's also a little inspired on SimCity.

A happy inspiration indeed.

QuoteAnd the licence is the same from Simutrans since it's meant to be the new default.

Splendid!

An_dz

Quote from: jamespetts on January 24, 2016, 08:38:37 PM
I must confess I'm having trouble working out which parameters that those are; does anyone know?
I've created a wiki article for all of them while I was implementing them.

jamespetts

I can see options for the colour for the background to selected text in edit areas, charts, elements in lists (selected and not), the ticker, the status bar and tooltips, but no option for the colour for the general window background, which is the one that I should like to be able to change.

An_dz

jamespetts

jamespetts

I have modified back.png (attached) to be darker in colour (which also helps to show the shading distinguishing the tabs), and have added a subtle plaid pattern, although this can be dispensed with if desired. I think that this darker colour looks rather better (and makes the UI easier to use).

Edit: I have made two other minor edits, too, image files attached.

Here is a screenshot of the theme as modified:

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Hmm. I really don't want to be negative at all - certainly the text is readable again. :) But the plaid I think really detracts from usability since it sets the eye to try and see alignment and position clues where none exist. I think it hampers usability.

A bummer that we need the darker colour - the lighter was nicer, but the numbers were definitely not readable, and now they are again. :)

A nice group effort!

jamespetts

Here is a version without the plaid:

I should be interested to know which people prefer. Also, I wonder whether it is time to replace the orange title bars with another colour, as orange does not go well with blue. Yellow, perhaps? They are opposite on the colour wheel.

Leartin

Quote from: jamespetts on January 26, 2016, 11:42:29 AM
Also, I wonder whether it is time to replace the orange title bars with another colour, as orange does not go well with blue. Yellow, perhaps? They are opposite on the colour wheel.

In r7373 (version I smuggled on the work pc) the parameters "front_window_bar_color" and "bottom_window_bar_color" accept values other than 0-6 for different colors, even though they don't accept RGB values - and only in the theme tab, not in the ingame settings menu. Also, they are not identical with the normal color indizes... But in principal it is possible to change the titlebar color, so if it isn't already that should be made an supported part of themes, thus allowing for any fiiting color to be chosen.

jamespetts

Yes, I noticed after writing the above that this is not fully customisable by theme.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Personally, I greatly prefer without the plaid. :)

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on January 26, 2016, 01:53:42 AM
But the plaid I think really detracts from usability since it sets the eye to try and see alignment and position clues where none exist. I think it hampers usability.
I agree, not limited to the ITT's example: a thing I liked in the Simutrans of ye olde days (v0.80) was the clean dialogue backgrounds; I've never swallowed the brushed steel backgrounds present in the default UI theme, it just adds unnecessary visual noise. ._.

jamespetts

Quote from: IgorEliezer on January 27, 2016, 12:17:20 AM
I agree, not limited to the ITT's example: a thing I liked in the Simutrans of ye olde days (v0.80) was the clean dialogue backgrounds; I've never swallowed the brushed steel backgrounds present in the default UI theme, it just adds unnecessary visual noise. ._.

That and it looks like a Linux desktop from circa 1999...