News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Increase Water height Button is not working correct

Started by The Transporter, May 06, 2014, 04:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Transporter

To Increase the Water height, the Ctrl Key and the Increase Water height Button must be used. Thats Strange. The Button should be working as every Menu Button.

kierongreen

This is deliberate. The attached image indicates why there needs to be two cases. Without control floods adjacent land giving a look similar to old shorelines, with control leaves flat edges.

The Transporter

Sorry, but without the Ctrl Key the button is not working. If i try to use it without Ctrl there is only a Fault Message: cannot alter water. http://www.simutrans-forum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&postID=102734#post102734

kierongreen

It does work - you can see this on the screenshot. It fails when water would spill over into the sea (and then the edge of the map).

Of course there'd be a very easy change to flip control and not control behaviours (for both raise and lower water) but both are useful it's a question of the one people find most helpful being the default with control for the secondary behaviour.

The Transporter

I use Simutrans 120.0 RC r7175 and the current Rev.120 r1440 of pak64. No other pak is installed in this Map.
In this combination the "Increase Water height" Button is not working. The "Decrease Water height" Button is working.
At first i use the "Decrease Water height" Button, the Waterlevel is lower than before. At next i use the "Increase Water height" Button for the same Lake, but it is not working.

Ters

Quote from: The Transporter on May 06, 2014, 09:35:25 PM
At first i use the "Decrease Water height" Button, the Waterlevel is lower than before. At next i use the "Increase Water height" Button for the same Lake, but it is not working.

If the lake was filled to the brim originally, this is as expected exactly as kierongreen explains. Another situation where you must press Ctrl to raise the water level is if there are double heights spanning the new water level. Ctrl then appears to do some temporary terrain changes or apply some cheats to the visuals, but you can't get beaches. If there are any other situations, you need to provide a screen shot or save game.

prissi

If lowering work, then increasing should work too. Otherwise this is a very confusing behaviour, and the control we should consider switching the control for raising.

An_dz

Why lowering & increasing is not made in half steps?

When increasing: First click over an open terrain transforms it in water (old shore), second click reaches the shore (flat shore), third click floods the terrain at same height (old shore), fourth reach the shore line (flat shore), repeat...

Invert for lowering

prissi

The Transporter

I found somthing new, it works. But only with half height tilesets, not with full height tilesets like pak128.german.
Is it even possible to alter the waterlevel with double height tilesets?

Ters

Quote from: The Transporter on May 07, 2014, 09:17:39 PM
I found somthing new, it works. But only with half height tilesets, not with full height tilesets like pak128.german.
Is it even possible to alter the waterlevel with double height tilesets?

I don't see any that there should be any difference as far as water levels are concerned. The height difference is one or two levels in either case. It's all integers, so the half-height versus double-height is just how the heights relate to the single-height version of the pak set.

kierongreen

QuoteWhy lowering & increasing is not made in half steps?

When increasing: First click over an open terrain transforms it in water (old shore), second click reaches the shore (flat shore), third click floods the terrain at same height (old shore), fourth reach the shore line (flat shore), repeat...

Invert for lowering
Because you would have to have a way of detecting if you are in a half step - which might not be that simple and could result in level never being actually raised/lowered.

QuoteIf lowering work, then increasing should work too. Otherwise this is a very confusing behaviour, and the control we should consider switching the control for raising.
There are obvious cases where raising cannot work but lowering can - when you are flooding an area filled with houses for example or when it would flood to the map edge (although that last constraint could maybe be removed now there isn't a limit on map edges).