News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Allow Elevated Ways to change level above ground

Started by Leartin, May 21, 2014, 06:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leartin

Elevated Ways are a bit buggy when it comes to changing their level/height. That is, it's not intended to be able to do it, they should always be exactly 1 level above ground.
However, due to 'bugs' that's not entirely true. The ends of elevated ways can be changed to ramps the same way you'd change the level of tunnels, with the tool that raises/lowers tiles.
Additionally, you can dig away the dirt underneath the elevated way, leaving a levitating way. Using these tricks, you already can create a curved ramp spanning multiple levels.

I could post these as bugs, but instead I'd like to suggest to make that behavior intentional. That is, adding column-images to elevated ways and allowing to continue building from a raised/lowered end. While this would work quite like tunnel mode, these elevated ways should not be allowed above water, buildings,... anything that can't currently be buildt over. Thus there is still a difference to bridges.
In order to remain compatible with older elevated ways, I further suggest a new parameter for the max_height that defaults to 0 (counting the number of column layers allowed)

(I think I saw some similar ideas before, but searching for elevated ways/elevated rails, I could not find a proper suggestion.)

gauthier

It sounds good. Adding this would also make regular bridges nearly obsolete. Thinking of a way to make bridges and elevated ways meet in one building solution would be appropriate.

ӔO

I think keiron was working on a feature like this, along with tunnels that don't require a tunnel entrance.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart: