News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

'Kitizen Empire'

Started by goodnight033, May 31, 2014, 08:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodnight033

Hello all!
I have always tried and write this post to share my save game that I played since 2009.  Somehow I just can't find the time to structure this post.
Heard some rumours that savegame only last to Year 3000 so I just want to show you all how it sort of evolved/developed, how it works before it 'may' die and rest in peace.

Save: http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Kitizen_Empire.sve

History of the network:
In 2009 I randomly created a map, where geographical location of the cities are completely random, as I happen to be too lazy to re-arrange them (that sums my life up unfortunately...).   

Initially it started with a small region with these cities: Hilbrough (think it is a deviation from 'Hillborough', Brenden, Coventry, Renville (later removed as Coventry grew into it), Kidderminster, Mallifield, Bristol and Kingston.   Coventry and Kingston are big cities in the region and often have wars 'fighting for space'.  The first majorly profitable line was the 'Brenden Shinkansen', which runs from Hilbrough - Brenden - Coventry with bullet trains (N700).  Then as Coventry grew as a result of massive influx of 'immigrants', the Shinkansen further extended to Kingston via Kidderminster and Mallifield.   

Then I decided to make Kingston a megacity.  The population grew from 100,000 to about 1,000,000 with a massive increase of city size.  The original 'tram' and bus lines deemed inefficient.  Therefore, I built an underground system that resembles Paris RER called 'CityExpress', which was the first underground network in my SimuWorld.   Then it grew... and that's when the game started to lift.

As the map started to become saturated, I expanded the map (which I call Map-2), bordered from Preston, Lancaster, St David's, York etc.
Further expansion took place last year (Map-3), bordered Kelvograd etc.

goodnight033

Map-1 and Map-2 network view

Focusing on Kingston.  The loop lines are mostly intra-city tram lines, longer lines that runs through the inner, urban city are CityExpress, a rapid-transit system.  The very long lines are HSRs.

Kingston Map

Sneak peek on eastern portion of Kingston (urbanised).

Brief outline of the network:
Because Map-1 (original area) was developed long before I started building Map 2/3, it has a different system when it comes to naming the lines:
Map-1 is based on a mixture of Japanese route system.
City Lines:  'Tram tracks served with trains/tram', they're usually uniquely named after certain landmarks of the city, or simply 'XXX Line'

Shinkansen: High speed that connects city and different regions.  They resemble the latter 'Cross Country' but with less stops, faster trains.  Sort of a 'superexpress'.

A E5 Shinkansen on the Brenden Shinkansen Line.

CityExpress:  An underground, rapid-transit system in Kingston.  Occasionally also serving suburbs of other cities that has regular commuters to the CBD of Kingston.

Below, underground of Kingston's heart.  There are 18 CityExpress lines, named from A to S.  CityExpress O runs through major interchange stations and is a Circle line.  It operates in both (anti-)clockwise direction.

An outdoor CityExpress system.  The picture shows CityExpress E, with a Sp1900 local service and a fast, 'mini-Shinkansen' E3 Komachi service, that provides a faster service between stations, and sometimes with its own fast tracks.

Another outdoor system, but at rural, suburbs of Kingston.  It shares tracks with CC services (see below) from Map-2, so congestion happens when the priority of the track is given to the CC intercity trains.

Eurostar:  High speed train service, but are point-point, non stop.  Compared to Shinkansen which is a 'many stops along a railway but faster', it runs in a massive network of intercity HSRs, that shares track with other Eurostar/Shinkansen trains.  First Eurostar service was built from Kingston to Hilbrough Waterloo 'Railport'.

Kingston's central station: Kermit St Station.  It handles traffic from intercity's Eurostar, CityExpress (all direction, including airport), trams etc.  Due to its busy nature, it took me a while to actually split the tracks and work out approach tracks routing to solve the congestion problem.

Hilbrough Waterloo Station is a gateway that links Map-1 to Map-2 cities.  Served by massive number of platforms with both intra-Hilbrough commuter railway and Eurostars, congestion problems led me to develop a system of 'approach track, departure tunnel', so that trains can enter and leave the station without blocking other trains.

Jersey Island:  Kingston's 'Crown' colony.  It is served by Jersey Airport with small narrow-body jets and also an intra-Kingston Shinkansen (at north of the island).  The HSR track also carry some Eurostar service from other cities.

After Map-1 based system... Map 2 and 3 resembles the good old British Railway... hail BR!

National Rail:  It is basically 'BR regional', local services that serves sub-urbs, intra-city... Sometimes it can be 'semi-fast', faster than CityExpress-like underground systems in Map-2 cities. Mainly served by Class 170 Turbostar/365/465.  In some cases, with high capacity routes (that even the longest Class 170 cannot hold), I switch to Hong Kong's MLR trains (pre-refurbished Metro Cammell EMU)

Cross-Country: Inter-City, mainly diesel served by BR Class 43HST/220/180.  They run along National Rail tracks so it causes delays (but we strive to increase track capacity... or trying to.) or sometimes it run on a inter-city mainline track.  Mainly long distances services, semi-fast or sometimes even point-point service.

Eurostar:  They are a solution to solve the massive congestion problem on Cross-Country routes.   Sometimes they run into Map 1 as well, these long distance services are named 'Nightstar' as it can takes several 'game nights' to finish the journey.

Maglev:  The reason why I chose Maglev was because .... I had too many trains!  Thought it would be great to try out Maglev and it turned out to be a great success to act as a ultra-fast, cheaper in long run solution to HSR when the region around York was very undeveloped.

Others:
Kingston International Airport:
This airport was built way before the map was expanded.  It was (meant to be) designed to handle passengers from the whole Simumap.  However, it failed as the old designs were inefficient.  Now it expanded with many runways, so apologises to local residents!

I am going to expand this thread (whenever I am not occupied with piles of stressful, hectic, hatred, doomed, boring work) so sorry for the brief post.

Thanks for reading it, hope you enjoyed it.  Please give me feedbacks on how you think can improve the map, and also let me know if any savegames will ultimately die when it reach Yr3000 as I want to keep it going! Thank you! 

(PS: Sorry for splitting the post.  For some reason the system didn't allow me to put my original message, so I had to split it and it finally succeed.)

IgorEliezer

For a moment the images and the attachments were broken, but now it seems it's all okay. :)

123abc

Junna

What does happen at the year 3000?

goodnight033

goodnight033

Quote from: Junna on June 01, 2014, 03:11:41 AM
What does happen at the year 3000?
That is what I'm trying to find out.  I am on year 2900 and I've heard rumours that every game will die when it reaches 3000 because Simutrans game time doesn't support beyond 3000?

Junna

Quote from: goodnight033 on June 01, 2014, 03:59:40 PM
That is what I'm trying to find out.  I am on year 2900 and I've heard rumours that every game will die when it reaches 3000 because Simutrans game time doesn't support beyond 3000?

If you do encounter problem at year 3000, you should report it as a bug, so that whatever coding problem there could be fixed eventually.

goodnight033

1st Featured City:    Sungor

Sungor is a region on the Sungor Mountains, which the name is taken from its local language.   If we look at the map, Sungor Mountains is in fact a long mountain range which starts at the Eastern side of mega-'city state' Kingston, all the way to the eastern side of the Simuworld map.   The mountain resembles a small plateau, which forms majority of the city of Sungor,  a small 'district' of Kingston is at the western side of the Sungor Airfield, and also Upper Salford at the east of the mountain.

Due to its cold nature, electrified mode of transport is deemed unfeasible.  Frozen electrification causes massive problems, therefore all transports are IC engine powered.   The city starts with a small urban area, served by a railway station 'Sungor Station'.  This station now handles trains on the Sungor Pleateau Railway (it starts from Preston, easternmost city of the map), calling at Salford and then ascend very slowly towards Sungor.   

Recently, due to rapid development in the eastern region of the map, new sub-urban services are introduced.   Since Sungor is in a region with special geographic features, hydrogen-powered trains are used.  Compared to DMUs, they are much less-powerful and more expensive to run, but its medium daily ridership on the line means they are more than adequate.

Since the Plateau Railway has a slow speed restriction (due to the terrain), an airfield is built to improve the transport network from Sungor.  The Boeing 757s are the only aircraft flying into Sungor, as they are the only aircraft that are allegedly certified for high-altitude take offs/landing.   

Surrounding the airfield is the 'colonial occupation of mega-Kingston', which since Kingston is a mega city state, a passport control is needed to pass through the Kingston-Sungor border.   Kingston and Sungor buses both serve the border bus terminal.

Sungor is well-served with national roads/motorways.  The strategic routes in the map are named according to the key cities which it originated from/passes through.  For example, a motorway/route starting from Kingston will be named K1, K2 and so on and forth.  It is served by K3 route, which the route diverge to either Sungor (via mountainous highways) or Preston, where the high-speed dual carriageway continues.  And below the mountain, the Simuworld longest tunnel, the Sungor Tunnel (forming a part of K1 route) lies directly below it.  Due to the high construction cost, toll fee has to be installed to cover the construction and maintenance cost, leading to a low usage of the tunnel.

Other sub-urbs, lying along the mountainous routes are served with local buses.  Metal fences are installed between Sungor and Kingston, as shown.  Local buses serve either side of the metal fence.