News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Differentiate the board icons more

Started by Ters, June 14, 2014, 11:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ters

As it is, the icon beside the boards come in three shades: gray for boards with no new posts, full color for boards that have new posts, and a slightly lighter shaded icon for boards with itself has no new posts, but where there are new posts in a child board. Under certain light conditions, and especially now in the summer, I find it hard to see the difference between the latter two. The alt and title text is even the same. The alt/title text is probably coded into the forum software (or a translation pack), but it should be possible to make som greater distinction between new post on board itself and new posts in child boards only. Personally, I find it less necessary to differentiate no posts at all and new posts in child board only, since child boards have their own indicator for new posts.

An_dz

I found this when I used the forum at my phone. I'll rework this.

Flemmbrav

it's not OT, but something different.
is there a chance to use the pakset-icons at the pakset-threads/subforums?
it's a bit boring to see everytime the same one - and would give the subforums a different/individuell character.

Ters

But then we would also need to have three versions of each pak set logo, and a common method to differentiate the three that works the same for all. Having to remember which image represents each of the three statuses for almost every boards isn't particularly user friendly. I also fear that having lots of icons with differing styles will look somewhat chaotic and unprofessional. This forum is quite tidy, without distracting avatars and mile-long "signatures" which are the hallmark of many online communities.

Flemmbrav

yes, you're absolutly right with that, but if you take a look at this thread you'll see that the logos are not verry different - all of them have the same sheme and design, different is only the train and a bit background.
same with nightly and experimantal logo.
but, okay, our (192c) one... - it's just leartin - it have to be different... - it have to be 100% comic :D

if they would be all in same sheme it won't be hard to make the three different versions.

An_dz

Ters

It's cloudy today. I'll have to wait until the sun comes back.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Miziiik

Quote from: Yona-TYT on June 22, 2014, 08:11:24 AM
Isaac, do not forget this.  ;)

It's already updated. I have Simutrans favicon.  :)
http://msim.8u.cz/ Můj web o hře Simutrans - Moje addons, návody, odkazy, apod.

An_dz

As the support guys always say: "Clear the cache"

Ters

I'm not sure I've tested the worst case scenario yet, but the icons are clearly different even when reflections are starting to make text hard to read. Thanks.