News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

more flexible vehicles / trailers

Started by mph1977, June 25, 2014, 04:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mph1977

a recent game of mine got me thinking why can't  refrigerated  vehicles carry  ordinary 'dry' crated  goods ( food cans, beer, glass, plastic, paper books etc)

i had  by  virtue of the   game engine a cattle yard feeding to a cannery  and close to the route was one of the supermarkets the  cannery supplied ...  If it had been a food factory ( rather than a cannery)  -great  that food is chilled goods so i could run back via the supermarket but  from the cannery i have to set up another line and run dry goods trucks on that line  rather than back loading  some of the cans in the fridge trucks

in 'real life'  fridge  trucks and containers are used for 'dry goods' if  it;s a convenient back load - obviously you have the same wieght and space limitations  becasue of the fridge plant on the truck/ trailer and potentially slightly smaller volumes and  for the sake of simutrans the cost could be the same ( rather than have a fridge 'on' and a fridge 'off'  price)

more recent versions allow   cotton / wool to be carried in the same  vehicles as grain / corn  ... ( presumably  the grain /corn  for  the  wool /cotton  favouring vehicles is loaded in  big sacks by crane / hiab / mounty FLT same as the cotton / wool )

Ters

Quote from: mph1977 on June 25, 2014, 04:56:30 PM
a recent game of mine got me thinking why can't  refrigerated  vehicles carry  ordinary 'dry' crated  goods ( food cans, beer, glass, plastic, paper books etc)

Because that means ordinary vehicles can carry refridgerated goods as well. Simutrans allows grouping goods into categories, in which all types of goods are mutually interchangeable. Changing this has consequences so deep into the core of the game, that it is unlikely to happen anytime soon. You're not the first to think out a more flexible system.

mph1977

thanks ters -  i didn't  realise  that it had to work both ways  becasue ofthe way simutrans was written ...

Fabio

What might be worth trying is vehicles accepting two or more categories, but I'm afraid it's not that simple to achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ters