News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Sheep farms - textile mills

Started by Sarlock, July 16, 2014, 08:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarlock

I've noticed that almost all of the sheep farms in the game have closed (in fact I can only find two that remain) and the numerous textile mills on the map no longer have sufficient supply.

I also see that there remains "in transit" amounts for several textile mills that no longer have any connected supply, and haven't had for many years.  When a supply chain is closed, is the "in transit" amount correctly adjusted when these goods are removed?

I don't know the inner workings of how everything ties together, but there must be a simple reason as to why the sheep farms all closed without being upgraded.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

jamespetts

The in transit figure ought to be adjusted for industry closures: indeed, this ought to be present in Standard, which also has an in-transit number. However, in Standard, industries do not close automatically: they can only be closed by being demolished by the public player, so this may have been missed. Can anyone confirm whether this issue still exists in Standard or whether it has been fixed in a more recent version? If it is still present, then I shall move this to the Standard bug reports board.

The sheep farm all closing without being upgraded is likely to be in large part a matter of chance, as whether an industry upgrades or closes is in large part random.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

QuoteThe in transit figure ought to be adjusted for industry closures: indeed, this ought to be present in Standard
Are the goods in transit being removed? Goods, once created, do not have any real coupling to the factory they came from. Instead it only has a loose coordinate coupling (originated @x,x, destined to X). Routing still operates as goods do maintain a destination stop if I recall. This means that they should still exist and remain in transit until they arrive at their destination. Even if it is no longer accepted by the destination, it should get removed only on arrival (as it has nowhere to go). This is not really a problem as these goods are limited in number and players, who are active and pay attention, should eventually fix it. The goods still do exist as in-transit is re-computed in new version of simutrans on map load by both convoys and stops when they are loaded.

The reason they still have in-transit amounts is that Blue or other players have them in goods ships that will never depart due to bad line management (load to 100% on massive ships). Both you and I use flow based systems to move goods so do not really suffer from this. I was looking at Blue earlier and a ton of his exchanges have several thousand units of various goods stuck. I am in the process of weeding blue a bit (removing broken lines, upgrading capacity etc) which should hopefully resolve most of the in-transit problem.

Sarlock

That thought had crossed my mind about those goods still being stuck in limbo, though they are piece goods, which are less backlogged in the system.  Perhaps we will wait for a bit and see if they get flushed out.  Those textile mills have been idle for 10+ years, with that wool being in transit, but perhaps it's still stuck out there someplace.  Some of the routing is really haywire with the variable transit time calculations.  Some goods bounce back and forth across the map.

QuoteThe sheep farm all closing without being upgraded is likely to be in large part a matter of chance, as whether an industry upgrades or closes is in large part random

Perhaps, though we've gone from 40+ sheep farms down to potentially less than 5 (I cannot consult the industry list as the scroll bar is locked >1000).  Certainly much more than statistical chance.

Either way, the textile industry chain is all but frozen now due to almost non-existent wool supply.

DrSuperGood

The problem is the textile mills maxed out in transit and the goods never leave as they are stuck across many ships due to bad loading behaviour and the owners saying "load to 100%". Blue seems to be a big offender of this, I will set up some flows for him eventually and the backlog should clear out.

Junna

Wasn't this a bug corrected in the pak recently where all the sheep farms lacked upgrade status? 'cause I've had this issue with the sheep farms all closing as opposed to updating in a single game.

Sarlock

Right.  I just looked at the source code for the version we're using and you're correct, there are no "upgrade[]" flags in the .dat file.  That explains their disappearance.