News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[S.RC 120.0, r7175] Can't extend tunnel upward

Started by gauthier, July 21, 2014, 06:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier

I have an underground track and I want to extend it upward. I use the appropriate cliff tool on a dead end to turn it into a slope going upward. Then I can't build track from the upper end of the slope, neither in underground view nor in sliced view.

(Using pak128 [r?] - couldn't commit it :/ - but also happens with older versions of it).

Ters

I wonder if this has ever worked, because I can't remember building upwards, only downwards. It might just be because I can't see the slope when at the upper level.

Aquin

In 112.3 you can do the following (just tested it with 112.3 and pak128):
- create some dead end tunnel
- convert the dead end into a upward slope
- click and hold on that slope
- change level 1 up
- drag some tunnel road

kierongreen

I also encountered this in pak64 although I never found this problem in pak128.Britain.

--

Edit: Now confirmed in both pak64 and pak128.Britain. This must be a recent change that someone has made as this was working previously.

gauthier

Quote from: Aquin on July 21, 2014, 09:42:11 PM
In 112.3 you can do the following (just tested it with 112.3 and pak128):
- change level 1 up
- drag some tunnel road
What is the key to change level in sliced view ? I can only do this through the display settings.

Ters

It would make a lot more sense if one could actually see the slope one was supposed to continue building from, but that's a digression I guess, and perhaps a small can of worms.

Quote from: gauthier on July 22, 2014, 08:23:41 AM
What is the key to change level in sliced view ? I can only do this through the display settings.

+ and -

captain crunch

Quote from: gauthier on July 22, 2014, 10:44:37 AM
Doesn't work in pak128, these keys change brightness instead.
Pressing the Function key F1 should open a window that shows which key does what. Maybe the keys PageUp and PageDown let you switch the underground level.

captain crunch

Quote from: Ters on July 22, 2014, 08:25:52 AM
It would make a lot more sense if one could actually see the slope one was supposed to continue building from, but that's a digression I guess, and perhaps a small can of worms.
It works with building a down slope, the slope is visible in the level below. When building an up slope, the track is not visible in the level above, though.
Another bug seems to be that when one build a down slope, it is possible to connect a horizontal track on that point, i.e.:

Build down slope:
_____
     \

Connect on that point:

Fabio

Do you have enough underground levels above?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gauthier

Quote from: captain crunch on July 22, 2014, 12:22:03 PM
Pressing the Function key F1 should open a window that shows which key does what. Maybe the keys PageUp and PageDown let you switch the underground level.
I didn't even think to that ... it was "end" and "home" keys.

QuoteIn 112.3 you can do the following (just tested it with 112.3 and pak128):
- change level 1 up
- drag some tunnel road
-> doesn't work in RC 120 :/

kierongreen

This behaviour started in commit 6966:

r6966 | dwachs | 2013-12-06 15:23:26 +0000 (Fri, 06 Dec 2013) | 1 line

FIX: tunnel building works correctly with (possibly double) underground slopes

Trying to sort out what went wrong with this...

kierongreen

Right - think that's solved now in 7268. I'm not sure why the changes made in 6966 were as extensive as they were - a lot of the extra code added seems unnecessary. I more or less reverted the affected sections of code to r6965, then added new code in to check for steep slopes. This seems to work fine with both pak64 and pak128.Britain.

Apologies to Dwachs if I misunderstood the intention behind his changes in 6966.

gauthier

r7268 is still not available on nightly site, is that intended ?

Ters

I'm not sure the one responsible for the nightlies regularly reads this forum. Only he can tell. He might be more active on the German forum.

prissi

There are currently no new nightlies for technical reasons for about three weeks. So you have to compile yourself or wait until the nightly generation works again.

An_dz

gauthier

Thanks for uploading. Building underground slope upwards is still impossible for me :/

kierongreen

gauthier

Is it possible to make the game automatically build a piece of track just after the upper end of the slope, in the same manner building a tunnel entry builds a piece of track just after the entry ?

Ters

Quote from: gauthier on August 05, 2014, 11:05:10 AM
Is it possible to make the game automatically build a piece of track just after the upper end of the slope, in the same manner building a tunnel entry builds a piece of track just after the entry ?

It will be a bit bothersome to clean up if one accidentally uses the wrong tool, but I think the benefits outweigh it. This will also give an error if there is no room to continue building on the next level.

Quote from: kierongreen on August 05, 2014, 10:05:38 AM
Anyone else having this problem?

Full underground works, sliced underground does not work. r7281

kierongreen

QuoteFull underground works, sliced underground does not work. r7281
Ah that explains it - I hardly ever used sliced view. That's a separate issue then to do with displaying slopes from tiles below. I'll work on that.

kierongreen

7282 should show slopes from the level below hence allowing you to extend upward slopes in sliced mode as well.